Secondary fermentation & conditioning with corn sugar in keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantrell00

Reaction score
Any experienced brewers that could tell me if I am missing potential pitfalls with this method?

Basically, I have many more kegs than I have spots in my keezer. In an effort to keep something in the pipeline, I would like to condition all of my beer in keg as a secondary while using corn sugar. Will be at room temps.

Any problems with letting the beer condition in the keg with corn sugar over a 3-4 week period?

There is no issue other than that you will, of course, need to make sure the kegs are at proper carbonation/keg conditioning temperatures and that you are using the correct amount of priming sugar. The difference in liquid volume and headspace generally mean less priming sugar for a 5G batch in a keg will be needed than if you were bottling it all.

As long as you use a calculator and the correct amount of sugar, there is no problem with doing that.

Just remember that hoppy beers should be drank while they're fresh.

Thanks....

The 2-3 weeks conditioning in keg would occur immediately after primary fermentation was complete.

If dry hopping in keg, would consume as soon as carbonated. 10-14 days.

Back