Secondary, a strange twist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapes

Reaction score
I racked to a secondary, yes despite suggestions here, after 2 weeks and the primary slowed/stopped. I moved the carboy about 3 feet from where the primary sat and now 3 days later the beer is still bubbling like a champ. Weird? When the wort went into the primary I did aerate, temp was maintained 68-69, but it really slowed after 36 hours, the current spot seems to be a degree or two warmer.

I may have helped it along with my own noobness (ignorance)? Now I'll let it crank until it slows and I'll take another reading then.

beer.jpg

I do keep the bottle cloaked in a nice dark cover to keep the sun off it.

Same thing happened to me when I transferred to secondary for dry hopping.

I think it's the transfer effectively rousing the yeast rather than the temperature increase that's kicked it off again.

You should have taken a hydrometer reading before racking to secondary. It should be at FG before any racking. It most likely wasn't done fermenting yet,& finishing up in secondary now. Leave it until it tests with a stable FG.

Back