Second rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsppspc123

Reaction score
Ok, i have seen a lot of threads about 2nd rack, but not enough definitive answers.

I have a conical V vessel, so racking is super easy. Close the ball valve and dump the junk in the bottom clean out and re attach. Then open the ball valve again.

My question is, do i add more sugar, and do i add another packet of yeast? Do i just add one, the sugar or yeast?

I have done both, and i just don't understand the rules. I have been brewing for over 20 years, and i am the guy most of you hate because i really don't brew with rules, measurements or recipes. Sanitation is the only exception to not having rules. I learned to brew from my father when i was just a kid. I can truthfully say i have never had a bad batch. I have come up with some recipes that i just didn't care for but generally people like what i make.

So try not to let your anger fly here, i am just simply trying to get some opinions from people that have the know, not a lecture. I am to old to get chastised, and honestly just want to be better each time i brew.

Also if anyone knows of some one that sells a custom fit insulated jacket for the conical V vessel, i would really appreciate the info. I brew out of my garage and its a tad chilly.

I'm confused. You mentioned racking twice in the title, but it doesn't sound like you're racking at all. "Racking" means siphoning to another container. I don't think you're racking from your conical, unless I'm mistaken and you're moving to another conical or to a carboy.

You're dumping the trub? That's fine. You don't add anything to the beer when you dump the trub.

Back