Second Homebrew is (weirdly?) thick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teganlt

Reaction score
Hey all,

just finished bottling my second batch (first turned out great!) and a little while after I started the beer started coming out through the tube a bit slower. I put a little aside and drank it — it was pretty syrupy. Its a brown ale (northern brewer carribou slobber — I’m still on the beginner kits) so that’s probably normal, but why did the consistency seem like it changed between the time I started bottling and the time I finished? Thanks so much!

Did you first rack/siphon from the fermenter to a bottling bucket?
How did you add the priming sugar?
Is it possible it ended up all on the bottom, not mixed properly? Hence the sweetness?

I added the priming solution while I siphoned the fermenter into the bottling bucket, and I did stir. Perhaps not enough stirring? Should I have added the priming solution after the siphoning was done?

I add priming solution before racking into the bottling bucket and find that adding the beer to the priming sugar mixes it in pretty well. If you added the solution during racking and also stirred, I think it was mixed well enough.

I added the priming solution while I siphoned the fermenter into the bottling bucket, and I did stir. Perhaps not enough stirring? Should I have added the priming solution after the siphoning was done?
Nope, you followed the recommended procedure. Still remains a puzzle why it's thick and sweet.

Here's what happened:

1) you put in the priming sugar
2) you put the beer on top of it and stirred. The priming sugar mixed throughout the beer.
3) You tasted this concoction, it was a little bit sweet because of the unfermented sugar

This happens all the time to me - I prime with table sugar, and it's very noticeable at bottling time. I like to test my beers at bottling time (fun!) but they are very sweet because of the sugar.

Everything will be fine. I don't know why it was 'thick' but probably it's just a malty beer. I think you'll enjoy it just fine.

What yeast did you add after cooling the wort? What temperature was the wort when you added the yeast? Two possible flubs are 1.) you forgot to put the yeast in the wort; 2.) the wort was too hot when the yeast was added. Another possibility is yeast in the kit was not viable for some reason.

If what you bottled has viable yeast in it and it is as sweet as you say, a dangerous possibility is that the bottles start exploding.

What yeast did you add after cooling the wort? What temperature was the wort when you added the yeast? Two possible flubs are 1.) you forgot to put the yeast in the wort; 2.) the wort was too hot when the yeast was added. Another possibility is yeast in the kit was not viable for some reason.

If what you bottled has viable yeast in it and it is as sweet as you say, a dangerous possibility is that the bottles start exploding.

I agree, if you don't watch gravities, your asking for bottle-bombs

Back