second fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Hi guys. Got a question, but first a little info. Two weeks ago, I brewed a robust porter kit I got from Midwest, and tweeked it a little. It was an extract kit with specialty grains. I decided to make it a little more potent, so I added 1 lb DME to the kit. I also wanted to go chocolate and banana, so I added 6oz chocolate malt to the specialty grains brewed according to directions cooled and checked og. Got 1.055. Fermented for a week, checked sg, 1.016. Waited 4 days, checked again, 1.016. At this point, I figured it was done. So, I took 7oz cocoa powder, 5lbs bananas, and 8oz 80 proof dark rum, blended it together, and put it into the secondary, and racked the beer on top, and stirred ever so gently. It's been in the secondary for three days now. I checked it this morning, and to my surprise, the airlock is bubbling once about every 20 seconds. My question is: is my beer going thru another ferment because of all the sugar in the bananas? If so, how long do I leave it? ( I think I know the answer to that as I've read it about a thousand times on here) thanks for any advise.

Yes you've added additional sugars so it will ferment again. Once the gravity is consistent for a few days in a row and you have the flavor you are looking for then you can package.

Ok. Kind of figured I'd be taking more hydrometer readings. Gonna give it a week before I check it. Thanks for the help.

Back