Second Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmoran903

Reaction score
After my first batch was (seemingly) successful, My girlfriend and I started on a milk stout kit from Brewer's Best.

It's amazing to see the difference in ingredients/timing and how BLACK this looks compared to my IIPA recipe. I took some pictures of the process, i'll attach them later when I get home.

One of the coolest parts is watching the airlock - it rises and actually 'pops' in rhythmic fashion.

So yea, totally bitten by the HB bug already. I'm trying to justify the purchase of another fermenter so I can brew again with a buddy tomorrow morning.

Really, you don't need to purchase anything, just run by a few restaurants/bakeries. They have food grade buckets that make perfectly fine primaries....

This thread is worthless without pics! :ban:

If you can't find any freebies, buckets and airlocks are cheap. Hell, you could probably get 2 with airlocks for under $10 or slightly over. Why stop at only 1 more fermenter? :tank:

I find that I always buy fermenters in pairs for that reason. I started with 8 6.5 gallon glass carboys years ago, and now I just ordered 2 more stainless conicals from more beer.

I find that I always buy fermenters in pairs for that reason. I started with 8 6.5 gallon glass carboys years ago, and now I just ordered 2 more stainless conicals from more beer.

Holy cow. I guess I could spare another few bucks for another fermenter.

Does it seem impractical or hazardous (to the beer) to transport a fermenter approx. 30 mins in the back of a car?

Does it seem impractical or hazardous (to the beer) to transport a fermenter approx. 30 mins in the back of a car?[/QUOTE]

Impractical maybe but hazardous, I would say no so long as you haven't finished fermenting, shaking it up may introduce oxygen.
Wish I had more room for more than 2 fermenters going at once.

Holy cow. I guess I could spare another few bucks for another fermenter.

Does it seem impractical or hazardous (to the beer) to transport a fermenter approx. 30 mins in the back of a car?

Boy, that does sound hazardous, almost as bad as me carrying the bucket fermenter up a flight of stairs for a week and then down 2 flights for two more weeks and then back up a flight of stairs to bottle. :cross:

No, I don't think you have much to worry about other than spilling some. Beer doesn't get carsick or anything like that. You may have to wait a day or two for the yeast to settle out if it has completed fermentation before you move it.

Latest posts

Back