Second beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmmcdonn

Reaction score
Bottling my first IIPA tonight and starting work on my second batch this weekend. I have a couple questions and appreciate all comments on the recipe.

Here we go...

10lbs Dark DME
1lbs cane sugar
12oz 120L crystal
1lb chocolate malt
3oz roasted barley
3oz Black patent

2oz Nugget (13.0%) + .5 Willamette (4.8%) 60 min
1oz Willamette 30 min
.5 oz 5 min

I also purchased a 4oz bottle of brewers best chocolate extract and Id like opinions about how much to add and when to add it (at 5 mins vs secondary)?

I basically took this recipe and tweaked it a little.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/respect-imperial-stout-extract-31763/

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Chad

Seems awefully light on the roasted barley. I personally like the distinct flavor roasted barley gives to an imerial stout. Also, dark extract is a bit of an unknown. It's going to be difficult to get this big of a beer to attenuate properly using dark extract. I prefer finding the lightest extract I can find and then getting all of my desired color and flavor from steeping grains. I'd pass on the chocolate extract.... cacao nibs or cocoa powder provide a better flavor (I think).

Awefully ambitious for a second batch. I did the exact same thing and ended up with a sweet undrinkable alcoholic batch of hangover in a glass.... ended up dumping it.

I need the ambition if I'm going to stay interested in this hobby. I want to brew the styles I like to drink. It just so happens the styles I'm interested in are a little more advanced in their recipes.

If you use the chocolate extract, do at bottling time. Split your batch so you know what it has done, like bottle half, then add extract and bottle that too. Mark them well so you will know which is which and give them plenty of time for the beer to mature. Midwest Supplies has information on this extract. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/chocolate-extract-4-oz.html

If you add extract to your beer, I'll bet you don't do it again.:eek:

Back