Second batch with that rubbery taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
Ok, so what did I do this time. I am truthful when I say that I took all precautions and it still tastes like rubber. What did I do wrong? Any tips on cleanliness and sterilization. Tried a GF blue moon, all I got is another batch that is undrinkable. Maybe a virus during fermentation or when force carbing. I did drop the rubber ring that is fixed to the handle or cap on my Corny. I did fish it out 20 seconds later. Any ideas?:(

You know what, I never would of thought that. Does C02 give off bad tastes after a while. I found myself getting into other hobbies besides home brewing and that C02 bottle with that C02 must be at least 3 years old. Could this be it?

Try wasting the first few ounces out of your tap. Throw it out. Often, it's something as simple as the beer line your using leaching into the beer that is sitting in the line for any length of time. Just a thought.

So you're saying use a brand new line. Theres a thought ok thanks

No, he said to pour a bit of beer into your glass, tip it out, then fill glass up. This gets rid of the small amount of beer sitting in the keg tubing.

I've been in the bandaid doghouse...

Change your lines.
Use StarSan.
Keep a spraybottle and hit EVERYTHING you touch.

New QUALITY Lines fixed my bandaid problem. Check out "Ultra Barrier Silver" and pick up a tube brush to scrub your lines after. Here's a link to some quality tubes

Brewing with different water? I had a run of off-flavor beer and it turned out to be my soft water.Switched to well water, problem solved.

Ok, the longest I would say is I left it in primary for one and a half months. Si I am going to assume it's autolysis or the dead yeast thing. So how to avoid this? Maybe next time I brew get 3 or 4 dry yeast packs like the Nottingham. Do a yeast starter and look for a good reaction to the starter? Any thoughts?

Looks like you may have replied to other post I posted by mistake?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/whats-rubbery-taste-53561/index2.html

I've never encountered this but I can't remember the last time I've ever had a batch sitting on the yeast cake in primary for more than 4 weeks.

Here's a thread that might give you some things to consider. I find the subject interesting so I found myself searching for an answer out of curiosity. Sorry that I don't have first hand answers.

https://byo.com/grains/item/1266-preventing-yeast-off-flavors-tips-from-the-pros

One thing that stood out is aeration. Are you aerating vigorously? My understanding is that yeast die from lack of oxygen, lack of sugar (overpitching?) or nutrition (yeast nurient added?).

Keep plugging and let us know what you find.

Back