seaweed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying adding seaweed to a mash - like Kelpie Seaweed Ale. However, I have no idea how to go about doing this. I know I can get the seaweed (Kelpie supposedly uses bladderwrack, which I can easily harvest nearby), but I've got two questions. Not sure how many people have tried this, but any insights?

1) How much should I try mashing?
2) Should the seaweed be dried first? Or used fresh?

I know that Sam Calgione from Dogfish Head made some sort of seaweed ale for St Partick's Day called Verdi Verdi Good which might be another point of reference.

BTW: He said it wasn't good, but it did keep you regular.

Thanks. I did a quick search on Verdi Verdi Good- man talk about a truly green beer! They use spirulina, which I am not sure is a good proxy for the bladder wrack I am hoping to use. I imagine DFH uses the powered form that you can get in health stores.

I may have to just wing it - maybe start with "a handful" of fresh seaweed to start (I'm thinking 1/2 - 1 pound for a 5 gallon batch).

i accidentally put way too much irish moss into one of my first brews.
After fermentation, i could barely take a whiff of it and had to dump it.

Latest posts

Back