Seattle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A8D29E40-EAFD-462D-96EE-9F9567F9FADB.jpeg

RIP Matt.

Matt was an awesome dude. Toronado is one of my neighborhood bars so I’d often stop in for a beer after my runs. He always lovingly gave me **** about being too active. After I had heart surgery I didn’t go in for a while and the first time back Matt gave me a huge hug and from them on we’d always compare our health problems. Matt had had back surgery shortly before my surgery so we always compared our medications.

My favorite Matt story was the day my grandmother passed away in 2015. I went over and ordered a bottle of Cable Car to split with some buddies and the bar staff. At some point Bonney walks over with a second bottle of CC and is all “believe it or not, someone just called and ordered you a second bottle.” He shrugged and laughed

It was always fun to attend the Three Matt’s dinners and see how proud he was of everything he’d a accomplished with the dinners.

My thoughts are with his wife and step daughter this morning. He’ll be missed.

Upcoming from Mirage:

*PATEK WATER* is new Helles lager--a twist on last year's Ski Mask recipe with a new hop: Hallertau Blanc. Fully brewed this in a vain attempt to retain the gold Ski Mask won at last year's WA Beer Awards, but also because I want to drink more Helles. Cans and draft.

*YELLOW TAPE* is a kellerbier brewed in collaboration with my close friends at Matchless Brewing. An unfiltered young pils, full of Czech Saaz hops. Cans and draft.

*REGOLITH* is a tart table saison fermented solera-style (or more accurately: perpetually blended) in a large-format French oak foeder. 4.5% ABV. Draft only. Idk if this has been announced yet, but Regolith will premiere this Saturday at the Chuck's Greenwood anniversary party. Shh?

And of course, new bottles of blended sour ale are on their way: one fermented in oak with local peaches, and one fermented in oak with heirloom varities of plum, plout, and pear--each from a different friend's estate. I'll have more information for you when the bottles finish conditioning.

Update on the bottkeworks thing? No blabaer or 50n on the most recent IG flick. False advertising?

That was a sort of “if you know, you know” thing — those were old empties on top of the lambic fridge in the shop...

Here’s the full line up from the night:
Oud Beersel Oude Geuze - 2001
Gueuze Girardin - 2005
Tilquin Gueuze - 2010/2011 (batch 1)
Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus - 2005
Vanberg Lambickx - 2009
De Cam Oude Lambiek - 2012
Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek - 2001
Drie Fonteinen Schaarbeekse Kriek - 2008
Russian River Torando 25th Anniversary - 2012
New Belgium Bottleworks 10th Anniversary - 2009

Prolly the Cantillon Rose — beautifully carbed and insanely jammy. I’m certainly no lambic expert, but I was blown away at how well the fruit had held up over 14 yrs. That b1 Tilquin and the Vanberg were also dope.

I know it's been a month but I want to say RIP to Matt Bonney. He really made an impression on me the two times I met him.

The first time, the two Matt's hosted a huge bottle share in the upstairs office of Brouwers. They couldn't have been better hosts for us beer nerd idiots.

The second time was right after he opened Toronado Seattle. I think libbey and Podunkparte were there with me. It's hard to remember through the laughs and drinks Matt provided. He ended up selling me his original Dave bottling. He knew he could have got a lot more for it -HotD sold bottles in house for hundreds more at the time- but he didn't care. He was happy to let someone else enjoy it.

We exchanged numbers and for awhile after that he would text me out of the blue every now and then asking if there was anything he could grab for me. I regret not keeping in touch.

The last time I was in Seattle, we made plans to meet up at Toronado but Bonney had something come up last minute. He did however set aside a bottle of Cable Car for us in his stead.

I can't say I knew Bonney as well as a lot of you guys. I think that makes my story so cool. I was some random tag-a-long acquaintance of a couple locals. He went out of his way to take care of someone he barely knew and sought nothing in return. Generous doesn't begin to describe it.

What a human being.

Back