Sea Water Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robpik

Reaction score
I have really gotten into this style after westbrooks version. I started researching different types of salt to use and so on. Considering that I am from Savannah for a moment I thought to extract the salt from our ocean water far enough off the coast that it would not be murky. Then I found out that aloha brewing used some of there ocean water to produce a Gose..... Craziness. How would one go about doing such a thing? Ideas?

It would sanitize through the boil of course but how would you know how much to use in the batch to provide the salt character you need.

Id play with half gallon batches. Perhaps brew up a base batch of 4 gallons and dose each half gallon with increasing amounts of salt. Take notes and figure out what works for your tastes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

ThreeSheetsBrewing is right about testing in batches, but I would be even more cautious than that. Brew your beer, then add the salt to the pint glass to get the flavour you want, then try a small batch with your yeast, to see how it behaves. Salt furks yeast RIGHT up, so be careful, but it should be ok in the kinds of doses that will also taste OK.

Be REALLY accurate with your dosing. If you're one gram out at the pint level, you'll be well over an ounce out by the full batch!

And I'm glad you posted, it's really got me thinking. :)

I made a Gose recently and it turned out awesome. I used Acid Malts for the souring and used sea salt for the salting.

I made a 12 gallon batch and put 1.8 oz of salt in the mash water. I added the acid malt after then initial mash and then let it rest for another 45 minutes.

It turned out great and was a hit at my recent tasting party. Not too sour and not too salty.

I made a Gose recently and it turned out awesome. I used Acid Malts for the souring and used sea salt for the salting.

I made a 12 gallon batch and put 1.8 oz of salt in the mash water. I added the acid malt after then initial mash and then let it rest for another 45 minutes.

It turned out great and was a hit at my recent tasting party. Not too sour and not too salty.

This is interesting. I am new to brewing beer though not so new to drinking it. However, I have never tasted a Gose. I am fascinated. Would you post the recipe or direct me to it if it is posted elsewhere? At my skill level I would probably be getting in over my head but that's kinda what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you had a tried and true recipe, you could calculate how much seawater to use based on the composition of the seawater. That said, keep in mind that seawater has many other salts and minerals in it than just NaCl, so there will likely be some difference as compared to a traditional gose.

How much acidulated did you use if you don't mind me asking?

bhouston,
Possible to get your Gose recipe? Gose is a very interesting beer, stumbled across it at a local brewery, nothing else like it.

Thanks in advance.

bhouston,
Possible to get your Gose recipe? Gose is a very iterating beer, stumbled across it at a local brewery, nothing else like it.

Thanks in advance.

Seawater is about 3-3.5% salt, or close to 4 oz per gallon -- so you would not need much.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Interested in your full recipe for this as well, and possibly explaining any steps that differ from your average brew....never tried to brew a gose before but am interested.

Here is the recipe I came up with, turned out really great. Hopefully this will paste correctly. I can send you the brewsheet in an email if you like as well.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.58 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 12.74 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 11.60 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.80 oz Sea Salt - Not iodized (Mash 60.0 mins)
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 2 4.1 %
10 lbs 14.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 44.6 %
7 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 31.8 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 5 14.4 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain 6 5.1 %
3.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 23.7 IBUs
1.80 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
1.0 pkg Dusseldorf Alt Yeast (White Labs #WLP036) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 23.7 IBUs
Est Color: 10.6 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Calories: 202.0 kcal/12oz
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No
Mash Out
Sparge Water: 9.89 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE
Total Grain Weight: 24 lbs 6.0 oz
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20 here

For the mash, I added all grains except the Acid Malt to the mashtun. I let it mash for 60 minutes then added in the Acid Malt with another 45 minute rest. Then, I started the sparge as usual. Pitched 2 liters of starter and fermented for 3 weeks at 67F. Keg conditioned for 2 weeks (using priming sugar in kegs) until ready to drink.

Latest posts

Back