Screwy's 5 Gallon Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewyBrewer

ezRecipe - The Easy Way To Awesome Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just built myself a 5 gallon mash tun using parts from my local Home Depot store and I'm already getting anxious to use it. I've included my parts list below for anyone interested in building this design for themselves. You can read complete building instructions by clicking the link below.

Complete project parts list:
1 - Home Depot Store SKU # 442438 Rubbermaid 5-Gallon Jug with Cup Dispenser
1 - Watts 3/8 OD x 7/8 BC x 20 inch stainless steel braided filler connector
1 - Danco 80746 Moen Repair Kit 5/8 O rings
1 - Mueller 107-702 3/8 Ball Valve - Full Port
1 - Crown Bolt Inc. Create-A-Bolt 5/8 stainless steel
2 - Watts A-785 3/8 MIP x Close Nipple
1 - Watts A-773 3/8 MIP Square Heap Plug
3 - Watts A-298 3/8 Barb x 3/8 FIP Hose Barb Adapter
3 - Stainless steel 1/2 hose clamps

Click for more...Build Instructions

screwytun-parts.jpg

parts2.jpg

screwytun1.jpg

Happy Holidays!

That braid from home depot may not be real stainless. I had 2 of them say they were and they collapsed on me during a brewing session.

Other then that it looks great and nice label

Thanks the label is pretty cool.

It's definitely stainless steel not polymer, trust me I used tin snips to cut it and it is metal.
(Watts 3/8 OD x 7/8 BC x 20 inch stainless steel braided filler connector)

braidfilter2.jpg

I wish the image files allowed me to enter a size parameter so the pictures weren't so big...

The mash filter should have a spiral length of copper wire inserted in it to keep it from collapsing under the weight of the grain.

coilwire4.jpg

Initially I rinsed the tun out with a few gallons of near boiling water and let it run out of the ball valve. Before using the mash tun I soak it in sanitizing solution for ten minutes and let it run out of the ball valve as well.

The mash tun worked great, I was able to hold 155F for an hour without any problems at all and cleanup was a snap as well.

I first soaked the tun in a gallon of sanitizer, rinsed it out and then preheated it with 2 gallons of 180F water for 10 minutes before dumping it out.

mash2.jpg

ok a question. Why are you sanitizing your mash tun? it all goes to the boil kettle where it is sanitized anyway. Am i missing something?

Technically there is no reason for sanitizing the mash tun, it's just part of my process to soak my brewing equipment in Craftmeister Oxygen Brewery Wash cleanser before using it.

I've bee n pre-heating my mash tun with with 170F water for 20 minutes and then dumping it out before adding in my grains and strike water. By placing a folded towel or two on top of the lid this tun has been holding the temperature with a degree during the entire mash.

After 10-15 mashes, I kind of lost track, it still looks and works as good as new.

Back