Screwed over yeast from shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My LHBS just posted this to their facebook page (translated from Norwegian):

"A bit of interesting information regarding yeast.

Last shipment of yeast from White Labs was mistakenly (WL's fault) sent in a slow way which takes 5-7 days to deliver. We got parts of the delivery at the end of last week (4 days) and the rest at the beginning of this week (7 days). We measured the temperature of the yeast upon arrival, which was between 24 and 26 c.

We complained about this and were going to dump the whole batch, but we were persuaded by Chris White to send some packages to their new lab in København (Copenhagen) for analysis. In addition, we got some people at Ringnes to do the same.

The results are very surprising, under you can see results from White Labs. They are going to do some more tests that are coming back next week (mini fermentations).

Strain Lot Viability
WLP002 1017682 98.6 %
WLP830 1017517 98.8 %
WLP810 1017464 98.8 %
WLP001 1017275 99.0 %
WLP001 1017275 99.9 %

These we got tested at Ringnes:

wlp001:97.8% living cells and 1,070 million cells/ml
wlp810:97.2% living cells and 1360 million cells/ml
wlp090:92% living cells. But here was a good deal of cell number lower; 780 thousand cells/ml.

We think the yeast stay vital much better than what most people think, especially if they are kept cool all the time.

We're going to take a few more tests when the yeast is 2 and 3 months old to see what the reality is.

Good summer:)"

Interesting information. That's reassuring especially since we all have these worries if the yeast we are using after mishandled or delayed shipping might cause problems.
Keep us posted on the results .

I'm glad they decided to test it. Some other independent tests have shown similar results- your yeast is much more viable over time than a few calculators give it credit for.

So, 5-7 days, and if the terminal temperature was reflective of the journey, something less than 80°F exposure.

As some of the yeast calculators were written by people who are fairly familiar with yeast producers and their craft, I wouldn't sell them short based on that one set of not particularly challenging data...

Cheers!

So, 5-7 days, and if the terminal temperature was reflective of the journey, something less than 80°F exposure.

As some of the yeast calculators were written by people who are fairly familiar with yeast producers and their craft, I wouldn't sell them short based on that one set of not particularly challenging data...

Cheers!

First, they updated the post today saying that the production date was between 15-23 of June.

Secondly, take this into context of the situation. Why would they have this tested if there wasn't an issue? This is one of the larger HBS in Norway, and they were ready to dump an entire shipment of yeast (at the expense of White Labs I assume, yet they would still lose the business opportunity to sell this shipment of yeast) because of the way it was shipped. So just writing it off as that it doesn't seem extreme, without considering everything isn't taking all the facts into consideration. Granted you didn't know the production date.

what are some of the yeast calculators you reference? Go to Mr. Malty and type in June 15, 2015 as the production date, and you get 79% viability. Type in June 23 and you get 84%. Same dates into beersmith's calculator and you get 78.26% and 83.34%, respectively. The lowest number that came back from the tests was 92%.

I had some yeast shipped during the summer from the yeast bay and they were quite warm so I was a bit concerned. Emailed them and got this response.

Contrary to a lot of the inaccurate and unscientific claims to the contrary often seen on homebrew blogs and forums, yeast are quite resilient organisms and actually have an optimal growth temperature of 25-35 C (77-95F). A brief period of time at that elevated temperature likely increased their metabolic rate for a period of time, but will not irreparably harm the yeast.. While there isn't a large source of nutrients in the vial, yeast have energy stores that they will use in the absence of exogenous energy sources.

However, the yeast aren't (and shouldn't be) growing in the vial! just to say that the temperature will not likely harm the yeast,

The way we pack yeast, the ice packs will always warm up to ambient temperature without insulation. Insulation is cost prohibitive and unnecessary when the package is properly handled. Your yeast is definitely fine. No need to worry.

Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Nick

I brewed beer with it and he was correct, the yeast did there job quite well.

So you don't have to pay extra for the ice pack and possibly higher shipping costs? Hmmm.

My most recent batch was pitched with yeast that I had ordered when the temperature outside was in the low 70s (around 22-23C or so), but the day that it shipped, the temperature jumped to 98F (37C) and the day that it arrived, the temperature was 90F (32C). I opened the package and the ice pack had not only melted, but was incredibly warm. The yeast vial was also very warm. I put the yeast vial in the refrigerator and ended up pitching it 1 and a half weeks later. The yeast took off within 8 hours of pitching and are still very violently and actively fermenting in the fermenter right now with no unusual smells.

So, yes, I do think that there is quite a bit of exaggeration and misinformation going on out there. Now that doesn't mean I'm ever going to purposefully put my yeast in warm or hot temperatures, but I do know that they are a LOT more resilient than reported.

I know this is an old post... But I just received my Hansen Yeast (WLP075) from the White Labs Yeast Vault after an extended transit time due to delayed delivery. But I have to say I'm glad to hear my yeast should be quite healthy regardless! :)

It was an insulated silver bubble-wrap pouch with a gel-pack inside. Of course the gel-pack had long defrosted but at least neither it or the yeast vials felt warm.

I've had 50/50 luck with ordering yeast online in the summer in Georgia.

I had one smack pack arrive on time but the yeast was totally dead, zero activity after 3 days in a starter. I just had a smack pack arrive warm on Tuesday and it was slow to take off, but fine in the end.

As a general rule though, I try not to order liquid yeast in the summer and make the hour drive to the lhbs to pick it up. It's not worth the $15 of risk plus a potentially delayed brew day for yeast that has a 50/50 chance of arriving alive.

Back