Screwed myself and need to quick carb. Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppinghog

Reaction score
Ok so my usual method of carbing is 30-35 psi for 36 hours and have never had a problem.

Anyway I've got a rye stout I was planning to have carbed by tomorrow morning and bottle a couple off for going back home for Thanksgiving.

Well I screwed up and forgot to hit the gas valve on so the beer has been sitting for 26 hours with no gas on when I thought it was carbing. I just found out and only have 18 hours to carb it now. :mad:

How do you guys quick carb a keg without over carbing it? I've never done it and am a little uncomfortable with it but really have no choice now so what is a good method to get it carbed up quick?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Put it on the gas at 12 psi and roll it back and forth on the floor for 15-30 minutes (or as long as it takes). At that pressure, there's no danger of overcarbing. When you no longer hear gas going in, you're there.

Awesome man thanks so much!

Should I hook up the gas through the dip tube or does it matter?

Put it on the gas at 12 psi and roll it back and forth on the floor for 15-30 minutes (or as long as it takes). At that pressure, there's no danger of overcarbing. When you no longer hear gas going in, you're there.

+1
It still might not be perfect but it should be on it's way!

Great thanks guys!

I'm gonna go do that now and then dial it back to serving pressure and let it sit overnight to settle.

Hopefully that'll get it where it needs to be.

Well I did it and it only took 10 minutes.

I'm assuming the fact I had the beer chilled to 37 degrees helped and the fact it sat at 35 psi overnight, abeit without active gas hooked up, so maybe some co2 dissolved into solution.

That said I'm shocked. It worked like a charm. It went from being pretty much flat to carbed in 10 minutes. Of course like duboman said it's not perfect but it formed a nice head and is definitely drinkable.

I was planning to leave it at 12 psi overnight to let it settle then bottle tomorrow morning round 9 a.m. before heading out.

You guys think that'll be ok?

Well I did it and it only took 10 minutes.

I'm assuming the fact I had the beer chilled to 37 degrees helped and the fact it sat at 35 psi overnight, abeit without active gas hooked up, so maybe some co2 dissolved into solution.

That said I'm shocked. It worked like a charm. It went from being pretty much flat to carbed in 10 minutes. Of course like duboman said it's not perfect but it formed a nice head and is definitely drinkable.

I was planning to leave it at 12 psi overnight to let it settle then bottle tomorrow morning round 9 a.m. before heading out.

You guys think that'll be ok?

Sounds like it. When it's that recently dissolved in the beer it can release easily when bottling from the tap, so I'd bump it up to 14 PSI for the overnight and then bleed off the additional pressure before bottling. Also, a hint...after sanitizing, put your bottles in the freezer for 20 minutes before bottling (cover them with foil) and it'll foam less when you're filling from the tap. Last tip: if you've filled it where you want it and there's not enough foam to cap on top of, give it a quick shot right on top of the beer from ABOVE the beer level. It'll foam up to the lip and you can cap on foam.

I've done a lot of bottling from the tap..can you tell? :mug:

Sounds like it. When it's that recently dissolved in the beer it can release easily when bottling from the tap, so I'd bump it up to 14 PSI for the overnight and then bleed off the additional pressure before bottling. Also, a hint...after sanitizing, put your bottles in the freezer for 20 minutes before bottling (cover them with foil) and it'll foam less when you're filling from the tap. Last tip: if you've filled it where you want it and there's not enough foam to cap on top of, give it a quick shot right on top of the beer from ABOVE the beer level. It'll foam up to the lip and you can cap on foam.

I've done a lot of bottling from the tap..can you tell? :mug:

Thanks man I appreciate it I'll definitely bump it up since I always seem to lose a little carb when bottling anyway.

I'll try refrigerating the bottles too which I always forget to do. I've never had to big a problems without it but I'm definitely gonna do it this time being that the beer is newly carbed so I wanna lose as little as possible.

Thanks again everybody.

Back