screw tops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggraid101

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to bottle my second batch, and I have some screw top bottles saved, but I hear they aren't very good for homebrewers? Is there a way to tell whether my bottle capper can handle them? I tried filling one of the bottles with water, capping it, and turning it upside down. It didn't leak, does that mean it's OK? I gues I risk losing carbonation if the seal isn't tight enough?

I wouldnt risk losing a whole batch. It might appear water tight but could be slightly non air tight. Id just go with regular non screw offs. I think it looks nicer too

I have an old bench style capper and have running experiments using screw top bottles. I cap a few in every batch and they have worked just fine. So far they are a 100% success.

That said, I wouldn't risk a whole batch on it. How's that for double speak? I feel like I should run for public office now.

I may just vote for you.

Yeah, I think I'll look for some pop tops, and give a few screw tops a try, but they're just easier to find those screw tops. This batch is going to be a real experiment bottle-wise. One large 2L flip top, two 32 oz flip tops, mostly pop tops and about 8-10 screw tops...we'll try it all! :mug:

I have used them on accident, I thought they were ruined, but they turned out fine. I would not reccomend it though

Remember it isn't the crimp that seals the bottle. The seal is created by the compression against the rubber ring inside the cap. So as long as you get solid compression of the cap against the bottle and the crimp is strong enough to hold the pressure, you should be fine, IMHO. The catch is that the screw tops don't provide as much surface area to crimp around, hence the greater possibility for seal failure. For short term consumption I think the screw tops are probably safe. I DO NOT suggest them for long term storage.

The other concern is that these bottles are supposedly thinner glass than standard pop tops. I haven't measured.

Back