Screeching Pumps, when should they be oiled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have had my march pumps for about 6 months now and I havnt used them yet. I recently finished wiring my control panel to them and i quickly flipped the switch on and off to make sure they were getting power and that they were coming on ( about 2 sec) They did come on but they make a nasty sounding screech as they started to turn.

These pumps were new in the box but should I oil them before I hook it up to the HLT and run them for a bit? If so ill have to dig up some old threads on oiling them because I havnt done it yet.

I did the same exact thing when I finished my control panel wiring. I got the same screeching sound for the split second I had them on. I think it's more due to turning them on with no liquid in the housing than not being oiled. The March pumps aren't designed to run completely dry.

Bottom line is I wouldn't worry about it. But I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to put a few drops of oil in if it makes you feel more comfortable. :cross:

Um... were they primed? You can damage your pumps running them dry like that. Screeching like that is a good indicator.

No they werent.. i just flipped the toggle on and off very quickly to make sure my wiring was correct. After i get a couple more quick disconnects ill be able to prime it and let it run for a bit to test it out.

Back