Scratched glass Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I have scratches in the kneck of my Carboy. I just finished fermenting a blonde with seemingly no problems.

Am I playing with fire? Anyone else have issues with a scratches glass Carboy?

As long as you take the time and properly sanitize prior to using it, you should be okay. I have a few scratches in one of mine, and have not had any issues. Cheers!

Seen it before, just clean and sanitize it and you are good to go.

I have a diamond tipped carboy brush that I use for that hard to clean krausen. :)

The scratches are in the neck of one of mine also. They are minor, and I suspect got there from the long metal handle of the carboy brush after numerous cleanings.

I cut out the center of a carboy bung for the wire shaft of the brush to fit through. Works like the muzzle protector I use when cleaning rifle barrels.

I cut out the center of a carboy bung for the wire shaft of the brush to fit through. Works like the muzzle protector I use when cleaning rifle barrels.

That's a great idea! If I was using a carboy brush, I might have to try that! I have a carboy cleaner, which is essentially a couple strips of chamois type material on a long plastic rod that fits into my drill. Don't have to worry about scratching anything with that! :D

Back