Blemish in 6.5 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I dumped some old loose change out of my old carboy and cleaned it. There is a spot inside of it that appears gray. I thought at first it was some type of gunk from having trashy coins inside. But I am baffled. If you scratch it on the outside, it is smooth. I tried scratching it out with a flexible piece of rubber with metal at the end from the inside. To my surprise, it feels smooth too!

Could this be a blemish in the carboy that is inside the glass between the outside and inside surface? I have attached a photo but it's hard to take a picture of glass.

Is this something to worry about?

Attachments

• PXL_20220526_002152944.jpg
    PXL_20220526_002152944.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I agree with NoCornOrRice, fill it PBW or very hot water. If it's a blemish in the glass it will either leak, break out completely or be just fine.

Thanks guys. I have some PBW on order and will let you guys know. I'm almost certain it is a blemish and it should be fine, because I've already completely filled and cleaned the carboy 3 times.

Let it buck. Next fermentation will probably take care of it. Not only that you have probably ingested more metals through older plumbing. I also don't see much of an infection unless it is straight up mold even then after sanitizing and a proper pitch of yeast would subdue.

Back