Scratched Flask, still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
So, I cleaned my flask this morning and noticed two things:

1) There are scratches on the inside of the flask.
2) There is a residue from using OxiClean to clean it (seen this before).

I should also mention, it is possible it had scratches from the last batch and I simply didn't pay much attention to it. It's bright and sunny this morning, so I saw them rather quickly.

Should I be concerned and replace the flask, or is still okay to use for yeast starters?

Thanks!

My flasks (and carboys) have slight surface abrasions (not exactly deep scratches) on the inside, where the neck becomes wider. It's from the metal wire of the bottle brushes. I clean, brush, rinse, and submerge in Starsan. Never seen or had an issue. I don't boil wort in my flasks either.

Are your scratches similar or deeper and in different areas?

What kind of residue is that? PBW can leave it, it's the metasilicate, but never seen it from oxiclean/washing soda. Is your water very hard? Soaking in Starsan tends to dissolve many mineral deposits. Or use CLR.

Have a technique to prevent scratches from the wire handles of brushes. Cut one side of a drilled stopper at an angle. Slip it on the handle of your brush and insert into the mouth of a carboy or flask when cleaning.

Similar to a bore/crown protector when cleaning a rifle barrel.

Have a technique to prevent scratches from the wire handles of brushes. Cut one side of a drilled stopper at an angle. Slip it on the handle of your brush and insert into the mouth of a carboy or flask when cleaning.

Similar to a bore/crown protector when cleaning a rifle barrel.

That's a good idea!

Since I noticed the abrasions, I've been slipping a piece of vinyl hose over the wire. Leaves the brush with a lot of freedom.

I appreciate all the response and advice.

The residue I believe is from Oxiclean because none of my other dishes have it. Only glass clean here with Oxi has it - maybe we do and it reacts to the Oxi this way. As long as I don't let it dry, I don't get the residue.

My bigger question though is would you still use this? Let's say I can get the residue off, would you use with scratches?

After cleaning and rinsing well, I always leave glassware and other stuff that won't get eaten by it in Starsan for 5 minutes to 15 days.

If you see mineral deposits, don't let the items dry. Dunk or soak in Starsan, then let them dry, and see if it gets better. If your water is really hard, maybe use some RO water (with Starsan) as a "last rinse."

Dishwashers can scrub mineral deposits off too, not sure how high the jets can reach into a flask though, position it in the right place. Automatic dishwash detergents are pretty good to soak glassware in too. It needs to be hot to do its best work. I think it also contains a metasilicate.

I appreciate all the response and advice.

The residue I believe is from Oxiclean because none of my other dishes have it. Only glass clean here with Oxi has it - maybe we do and it reacts to the Oxi this way. As long as I don't let it dry, I don't get the residue.

My bigger question though is would you still use this? Let's say I can get the residue off, would you use with scratches?

Go ahead and use. Just clean and sanitize well.

I buffed out scratches that I had at the mouth of one of my carboys with Barkeepers Friend.

you haven't described the scratches, and I couple that with "do you boil in your flask"?

if they are deep scratches in the bottom of the flask and you boil in the flask, I would think of replacing because of structural issues with the glass.

The residue can be removed almost instantaneously with distilled white vinegar. Add some to the empty flask/carboy/whatever, swish to coat all affected areas, dump, rinse and you're done.

The scratches are maybe an inch long each. I do not boil with the flask. I boil in a saucepan and then pour into the flask.

Thanks!

Back