scrap brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtheefus

Reaction score
this is made out of free stuff that i happened into. with the exception of the chugger pump. All the stainless is from an old pizza shop makeline cooler.
IMG_20130804_183708_zps2e695dc9.jpg
[/IMG]
i have been trolling sites looking for any input on any thing like this build. i have only found fully welded stands, erector set stands, all wood, or turkey burners on blocks. please give any advice, feed back, or comparison.
IMG_20130804_183659_zpsf17dda82.jpg

Like good. I would be worried about the lack of airflow around the burners and that they are sitting on that 2x4. But other than that I like it.

Yeah the burners are definitely wrong. Even if you manage to have a decent flame, consider how much CO you'll be generating from the incomplete combustion. They need more oxygen flow. Don't test it without opening the garage door fully.

I would cut out the bottom of the burner casings and buy a single angled metal pole. Should only cost you about 15$. It could replace the middle 2x4 on which the burners are right now (unsafe anyway) and you could fix the burners on it (now that they need something to fix them on). You could even fix the pump on it exactly as you did on the beam.

I would also add some 2x4 to solidify everything a little more, especially one vertically in the middle. It would add support for the two very heavy kettles you'll put on that table.

Hmmmm.........Isn't the oxygen supplied through the register where the gas supply enters?
He has spacers to space his boil kettle up away from the flame.

Am I missing something here?

I'm hip to spacing the burners off the wood, and some more bracing!

Hmmmm.........Isn't the oxygen supplied through the register where the gas supply enters?

You'd think that indeed but I'm thinking you might be wrong. I just had another look and all the designs I'm finding on Google Image, including Blinchman burners, all have a cylindrical design without roof or bottom, even with spacers to separate kettle from burner. There might be a reason for that and I'm guessing it might be about oxygen flow. Maybe it's not, but I'm pretty sure all the commercial designs would already have a bottom if it was a good thing to have one. Since there's the CO danger possibility, I'd choose a proven design over a guetto/maybe one.

To the OP: Other than that, I think it's kind of sad you have that superb stainless steel (?) table rigged with those awful 2x4. You could probably find very cheap metallic support. I found used and very strong iron table legs at 20$ around here. Would be better on long term... I sure understand the cheapo need though... :fro:

BTW, what's the material used for the burners casings? What metal is this?

Only part of it. The burner still needs some make-up air from around the nozzles, and without an opening below, it'll be fighting with the thermal exhaust for the little gap under the pot.

Am I missing something here?[...]

Yes. Without those spacers, the whole thing is guaranteed not to work worth a crap. The spacers at least provide an escape path for the heat and burner exhaust - which will be trying to rise. But that hot flow is not going to allow fresh air to efficiently flow in reverse to reach the burner and provide the necessary make-up air...

Cheers!

I agree, you will need better airflow from the bottom. The wood will also scorch from the heat, it may not catch fire but you will smell it. You should also consider bracing the back to keep it from twisting under the weight.

Back