Scottish 80 - FG 1.020?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
I have an all grain scottish 80 in primary. Recipe is:

Recipe for 10 Gallons
Scottish 80 Schilling
OG: 1.049
FG: ---
IBU: 19
Extract Efficiency: 71%
Est ABV: 4.7%

Fermentables
17.5 lbs Golden Promise Pale Ale Malt
.4 lbs Caramel 40
.4 lbs Roasted Barley

Hops
60 minutes - 1 oz Yakima Goldings (4.2% aa)
60 minutes - .25 oz East Kent Goldings (7.2%aa)

Yeast
White Labs WLP 028 Edinburgh Ale
2 vials into 3 quart starter prepared 24 hours prior. Did not decant.

Other
Whirlfloc tab at last 15 mins of boil
1tbs - 5.2 Stablizer added during mash.
Aerated with 1 minute pure O2

Mash
1.2 qt per lb at 158°F for 75 minutes

Boil
Began boiling first runnings while sparging to encourage caramelization. Then, boiled full boil for 90 minutes.

Fermentation
Started at 62°F
Raised to 68°F after one week. Maintaining this temp until finished.

The beer has been in the primary for 8 days. The first three days were very vigorous, now, the yeast seems to have floculated and there is no airlock or surface action despite raising the temperature from 62 to 68 and stirring it up.

The gravity reading is now 1.020, down from 1.049. BeerSmith estimated a finishing gravity of 1.013. Given that the beer was mashed high at 158, is it possible that 1.020 could be the finishing gravity? Or did the yeast floculate too soon?

I have measured two days in a row after raising the temperature and stirring with no drop in gravity.

I plan to leave it in the fermenter for another week, maybe two if I see some slow progress, possibly stir it gently again.

looks good to me. I would leave it another week or two to clean up but wouldn't expect much of a reduction in gravity. The high mash temp is/did give you some extra unfermentables. taste the next gravity check and if its too sweet you can address then but sweet is part of the style so it might be perfect :)

Thats 58% ADF. you still want to come down a few more points to about 1.016. I say leave it for a few more days then check on it

thanks guys. I'm going to give it until this weekend @68, then take another reading. I have had a couple tastes, it has a little sweetness, but not near as much as you would expect.

Its an interesting style. I brewed an Imperial Chocolate Stout before this, it started at like 1.089 and finished at 1.020, right around where this small scottish beer is finishing!

Latest posts

Back