Scotch gurus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicXJ

Reaction score
Okay so I have really started getting into scotch this year. I quickly learned single malt was for me, I even bought a set of those Glencairn glasses cause I got sick of drinking it from a kolsch glass. I bought a couple bottles, normal stuff like 12 year Highland and Glennlivitt, which both I really like.

Anyway my wife just bought me a 18 year bottle of Macallan for an anniversary present and I was curious of someone a little more knowledgable than me about it. I have never tried any of the Macallan brand scotch before and just nervous about opening a bottle that costs over 100 bucks.

Any thoughts about this particular bottle?

Thanks

Just go for it! Pour your dram into the Glencairn, let it breathe, taste it, add water to preference (very little for most any Macallan) and ponder the mysteries of the wood and the barley for the next hour or so.

Pick up some Aberlour A'bunadh sometime, it'll be a real education, and its a reat deal for a great single malt, only about $60 per bottle around my parts.
And if you want to get into more treacherous waters, try some Caol Ila, Ardbeg, or Laphroaig...

Subscribed - I'm in the same boat as you, ClassicXJ so I'm looking forward to the replies. I've only gotten a few bottles - Glenfiddich 15, some forgettable bottles, and am currently working on a sherry-cask MacCallan, which is pretty good.

Also, SWMBO got me one of those Bell's tulip glasses. It's about a 7-oz glass and I've found it's perfect for an oz of Scotch.

My advice, if you want to know what notes to look for, is to reference some of the ratings individuals have done. You can find these on various websites (i.e., maltmadness.com and whiskey.com).

I concur with Stout-n-Braggot. Add a bit of water, preferably distilled, to a serving of scotch. Perhaps somewhere around a two to three drops should suffice, it really does not take much. This will really open up the nose and allow for the perception of more flavors. Try it without the addition of water first and then compare.

I will throw Balvenie out there as another enjoyable, low cost Scotch. There are many great single malt whiskeys out there from the various regions. Enjoy!

my favorite scotch site is this:
www.maltmaniacs.org

crazy little dane, but he knows his scotch

never had 18, but i have 2 bottles of 12. it's a great easy-drinking scotch. Talisker is one of my favorites.

and honestly, single malts are great, but for everyday drinking....JW Black. i really enjoy it. just stay the f away from chivas regal.

JEALOUS!
I, too, have been recently getting into scotch. Ive had a small variety and the macallan 18 year is hands down the best i have had.

You'll enjoy that Macallan 18. And if you do like it, as a slightly cheaper option when you buy for yourself (and not received as a gift) I think Macallan 10 year is fantastic, especially for the price.

Lagavulin 16 yr is my personal favorite. A bit smokier. I add an ice cube to open it up, some people use water, some people swear against both. Just personal preference.

I'm hoping to win a $500 gift card for beer, and if I win I think I'll be picking up a bottle of scotch as well. I've got my eye on a bottle of Lagavulin 16.

Lagavulin, Talisker, and Oban are all excellent as well. (actually, I've only had a few single malts that were "bad")
Old Pulteney is another nice one, just a plain, highland, single malt. It doesn't score too highly in a lot of the whiskey bibles, but I think its really underrated.

Back