Scotch ale, questions on starters and blowoff tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpogo

Reaction score
I'm starting a scotch ale soon. I have a few questions regarding starters and blowoff tubes.

This is my first time using a starter, and also my first time using liquid yeast.

As for the starter, I'm using Wyeast. Should I "pop" the Wyeast as per directions?
I have one of those chemistry like flasks, but using it on the stove worries me. My plan was to boil some water and add DME. Then pour the wort into the flask and cover it until it's at a yeast appropriate temperature. then I was going to add the Wyeast pack and airlock it. I was planning on brewing friday or saturday, whould I be preparing this on thursday then? Also would it hurt to just pitch the whole starter into the scotch ale wort, or should I decant the liquid and pitch in the bottom of the starter.

Also I've heard bigger beers like this sometimes require a blowoff tube. Do I need to do this? How would I rig up something like that? I'm planning on using a plastic "Ale Pail" as a Primary and then use a better bottle as a secondary and age it for a few months. Also is there a way to rig up a blowoff tube to a better bottle? I was planning on grabbing a 6 gal better bottle soon and was wondering this. I only have seen pictures of glass carboys with blowoff tubes, and it looked to me like it was just a big tube in the neck of the carboy.

Depending on the time I age it do I need to worry about the yeast all crapping out for bottling carbonation later?

Thanks.

Back