Score!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester4176

Reaction score
I took SWMBO and my daughter to the local pumpkin patch today for a hayride and to get a big arse pumpkin for Halloween. While there, I spotted some coke pre-mix kegs at the concession stand. Figured I'd ask the owner if he cared to part with a few of them. Started talking to him while I loaded a few up, and he decided to give me ALL of them.

SOOOO...I now have 13 coke kegs to add to my collection. I HAVE to use it here guys.... :ban: Some still have Coke and Sprite in them. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Now to find a way to tell my father in law to buy his own damn fridge and keep the one in the new house to lager with, without the wife divorsing me. This calls for a beer or two or more to celebrate.

Some free Sankey kegs to convert to brew kettles would be nice. They're harder to come by than Cornies. Can't find a one of 'em (I'd love to find three).

the_bird said:
Some free Sankey kegs to convert to brew kettles would be nice. They're harder to come by than Cornies. Can't find a one of 'em (I'd love to find three).

I just got one for $10. My brother in law had three empty kegs of Blue Light left over from a wedding. I said "What's the deposit on those?" He said ten bucks. "Cool, here's a ten spot, you only have to take two back."

:)

-Todd

Now I have to cut the pressure relief mechanism off a few of the lids and I'll be able to use them for lagering. Hmmm....I think I'm going to need a new right angle grinder to do that with. Put in my Christmas request early last night too. Asked the wife for a sculpture. She rolled her eyes and mumbled something in spanish as she walked away.

I guess they must have had a fairly small deposit on them if he didn't mind giving them to you for free. Maybe it saved him more effort than it was worth to him to return them for the deposit, which implies that the deposit is too low.

What is the pressure relief thing that you have to cut off, and why?

beer4breakfast said:
I guess they must have had a fairly small deposit on them if he didn't mind giving them to you for free. Maybe it saved him more effort than it was worth to him to return them for the deposit, which implies that the deposit is too low.

What is the pressure relief thing that you have to cut off, and why?

He said he didn't pay a penny for deposit on them. He figured Coke didn't want them back either because they're being phased out. The pressure relief valve on these is wierd. In place of the normal screw-on type relief valve, there is a metal shielded valve that looks to be integrated into the lid. Has a few holes on the top to vent it. I haven't had a chance to crack one open yet so I can see the underside of the lid, but hopefully I'll get to tomorrow or Thursday.

Jester4176 said:
He said he didn't pay a penny for deposit on them. He figured Coke didn't want them back either because they're being phased out. The pressure relief valve on these is wierd. In place of the normal screw-on type relief valve, there is a metal shielded valve that looks to be integrated into the lid. Has a few holes on the top to vent it. I haven't had a chance to crack one open yet so I can see the underside of the lid, but hopefully I'll get to tomorrow or Thursday.

Coke doesn't have a manual release on thier kegs so you must have gotten pin lock kegs. Just make sure you either press the popet on the gas post or just connect a pin lock connector onto it to release the pressure.

Why?????

Just connect a quick connect to the in side and run a plain hose from it to a 2 liter bottle of water. That will be a great air lock. Don't ruin the kegs by cutting on them!!!!

dougjones31 said:
Why?????

Just connect a quick connect to the in side and run a plain hose from it to a 2 liter bottle of water. That will be a great air lock. Don't ruin the kegs by cutting on them!!!!

Hmm...good point. Thanks

Back