Scoby good or scoby bad...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastbutnotyeast777

Reaction score
The white, almost triangular, shaped pieces attached to mass are the original pieces harvested from a batch made last summer.
I kept the pieces in liquid, sealed in a glass jar, in a fridge for a year. I did NOT add sugar over time.
When I brewed this I opened the jar of scobys and it looked and smelled the same as it did when I put them in. I reluctantly used it thinking it may work. As you can see in the pics something definitely grew. Weather or not its healthy remains to be discussed...

Anybody have any input?

20180606_124551.jpg
20180606_135434.jpg
20180606_135535.jpg
20180606_124559.jpg
20180606_135458.jpg
20180606_135529.jpg
20180606_135423.jpg

The SCOBY itself looks fine- but those greenish blue spots in a couple of pictures look like mold in those photos.
I'll double check but I believe those are the really thin spots in the scoby that appear that way because of the lighting

SCOBY doesn't look great, but it doesn't look moldy. Easiest way to tell is make a new tester batch. If there's mold, you'll know for sure. That being said, I wouldn't think it's likely to still be viable after almost a year, but it'll only cost you a quarter worth of ingredients to find out.

For the record, it's not recommended to store your SCOBY in the fridge.

Well if it wasn't viable then what is it that grew? The light colored slices in the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th are what I used to start it. Everything surrounding is what grew...

What do I need to do to make a "starter" batch?
Just like a cups worth of a new batch of tea? Use the new growth or old growth?

Back