Schramm's Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's the deal with Blackberry Sec's production? I've only ever seen it in stores once here, so I assume it isn't meant to be part of the standard line, but it also doesn't seem to one be one of the specialty releases like Lord Jim or Heather? Have multiple batches been made? Are further batches planned?

So what's the deal with Blackberry Sec's production? I've only ever seen it in stores once here, so I assume it isn't meant to be part of the standard line, but it also doesn't seem to one be one of the specialty releases like Lord Jim or Heather? Have multiple batches been made? Are further batches planned?

It was one batch / one release, long ago. We have found a very limited market for a dry fruit mead -- people seem to be really desirous of stuff on the other end of the spectrum, e.g. Black Agnes, Cranberry, etc.

MLF is definitely something that I'm interested in exploring for the future, but the timeline on this kind of thing will have to be long. Normally, malolactic fermentation (MLF) takes 1-5 years in oak barrels. When you pitch a pure culture of Oenococcus oeni (like we did), that timeline is usually shortened, but we still should have given it a year or two. If there was more data out there about MLF for meads, that would be great - but there isn't. There aren't that many mead producers out there that have any background at all with fine wine - most come from craft beer or start with mead. So the research needs to be done and it needs to be shared. For our iteration of Blackberry Sec, I think we gave it 4-6 months, which is not enough, apparently. The resultant bottled product had a bit of petillance and was really ugly (IMHO), with some sediments clinging to all interior aspects of the (clear) bottle. I'm not sure exactly why this happened, but I have seen it many times in naturally-made unfined/unfiltered red wines -- usually it isn't as noticeable because most wineries use dark glass bottles for a red wine.

tl;dr - We made it once. Blackberry Sec isn't in production right now, but it may be in the future. Research & experimentation need to be done, most likely with a mixture of oak and pure culture in stainless tanks.

It was one batch / one release, long ago. We have found a very limited market for a dry fruit mead -- people seem to be really desirous of stuff on the other end of the spectrum, e.g. Black Agnes, Cranberry, etc.

MLF is definitely something that I'm interested in exploring for the future, but the timeline on this kind of thing will have to be long. Normally, malolactic fermentation (MLF) takes 1-5 years in oak barrels. When you pitch a pure culture of Oenococcus oeni (like we did), that timeline is usually shortened, but we still should have given it a year or two. If there was more data out there about MLF for meads, that would be great - but there isn't. There aren't that many mead producers out there that have any background at all with fine wine - most come from craft beer or start with mead. So the research needs to be done and it needs to be shared. For our iteration of Blackberry Sec, I think we gave it 4-6 months, which is not enough, apparently. The resultant bottled product had a bit of petillance and was really ugly (IMHO), with some sediments clinging to all interior aspects of the (clear) bottle. I'm not sure exactly why this happened, but I have seen it many times in naturally-made unfined/unfiltered red wines -- usually it isn't as noticeable because most wineries use dark glass bottles for a red wine.

tl;dr - We made it once. Blackberry Sec isn't in production right now, but it may be in the future. Research & experimentation need to be done, most likely with a mixture of oak and pure culture in stainless tanks.
Wow I would've guessed it had been made repeatedly, either I'm going crazy or we got bottles sent to us at least a year apart. I guess that speaks to the whole "limited market for a dry fruit mead" thing.

Oddly essentially all the mead made out here is pretty dry, I wish there were more producers like you guys.

Wow I would've guessed it had been made repeatedly, either I'm going crazy or we got bottles sent to us at least a year apart. I guess that speaks to the whole "limited market for a dry fruit mead" thing.

Oddly essentially all the mead made out here is pretty dry, I wish there were more producers like you guys.
You are in wine country though. Even the wine in Michigan is primarily sweet cherry wine and reisling. It's underrated from a domestic wine standpoint (not that I am a wine drinker) but I always found it cheap and good.

When you can only import 3L of beer and 6L of wine and then you remember Naegerbomb talking about Schramm's being "honey wine".

giphy.gif

I know there was a list of retailers a while back, but does anyone know if Columbus Ohio is still seeing much/any Schramm's (and if so how available it is)? Heading out for there next week for work.

Just ran a report and made a few calls for you. Looks like your best bet is Crafted Drafts on Hamilton Rd has Blackberry, The Statement, and Nutmeg as of just a few seconds ago. The full list (of retailers that have had Schramm's in the past year, no word on current inventory) within Columbus proper is:

Crafted Drafts - Gahanna

5245 Hamilton Rd., Columbus, OH 43230

Savor Growl

2991 Indianola Ave, Columbus, OH 43214

Andersons - North

7000 Bent Tree Blvd., Columbus, OH 43235

Weilands Market

3600 Indianola Ave., Columbus, OH 43214

Giant Eagle 6539 - Grandview Yards Market District

840 W 3rd Ave., Columbus, OH 43212

Andersons - East

5800 Alshire Rd., Columbus, OH 43232

Kenny Road Market

4658 Kenny Rd., Columbus, OH 43220

Pies & Pints - Easton

4205 Weaverton Lane, Columbus, OH 43219

What's new?

Not too much Schramm's-wise, actually - lot of mead in the tanks just waiting to be clear enough to bottle.

James-wise, I'm heading on to a new opportunity. After 7/30, I'll be very very part-time with Schramm's Mead (I'll still be in the family, of course - so I'll still be around). Couple barrel projects a year, maybe - but not much else. I'm starting in a new position with a DNA software company on 7/31.

So, you'll have to page mrsnaegerbomb for all of your Schramm's Mead AMA needs!

Not too much Schramm's-wise, actually - lot of mead in the tanks just waiting to be clear enough to bottle.

James-wise, I'm heading on to a new opportunity. After 7/30, I'll be very very part-time with Schramm's Mead (I'll still be in the family, of course - so I'll still be around). Couple barrel projects a year, maybe - but not much else. I'm starting in a new position with a DNA software company on 7/31.

Congrats, James! Best of luck in the new role!

James-wise, I'm heading on to a new opportunity. After 7/30, I'll be very very part-time with Schramm's Mead (I'll still be in the family, of course - so I'll still be around). Couple barrel projects a year, maybe - but not much else. I'm starting in a new position with a DNA software company on 7/31. !
Oh snap! Congrats!

Are you working for InGen? Is John Hammond your boss?

Oh snap! Congrats!

Are you working for InGen? Is John Hammond your boss?

I'm on to a DNA bioinformatics software company: little bit less dangerous than Isla Nubar but a whole lot more exciting. Machine learning, natural-language processing, and cloud-computing applied to personalized genomics -- it's going to be fun!

giphy.gif

Congrats dude. Thanks for making yourself available to inform us delinquents.

Since this seems to be the de facto Schramm's thread, anyone trying to buy the annual member extension thingiedo? I'm adding it to my cart but it keeps giving me an error. The only support options seems to be calling Alyson which I don't really want to do if I'm just being a doofus.

Since this seems to be the de facto Schramm's thread, anyone trying to buy the annual member extension thingiedo? I'm adding it to my cart but it keeps giving me an error. The only support options seems to be calling Alyson which I don't really want to do if I'm just being a doofus.
Was told you can't extend annual memberships any more even though they are running through the end of 2018.

Yeah, I think you missed an email or two. They are putting pause on annual membership renewals right now while they figure out how to unveil a new club. Their email had a survey you could take to give feedback.

You people are all wrong.

They just sent out an e-mail saying that annual members whose memberships expired between the announcement (end of August) and the end of the year can renew for $20 through the end of the year. Presumably that was only sent to the ~1/4 of us that fall into that bucket. There's a new storefront that is kinda buggy. I wasn't able to add the extension to my cart until I added a trustee to my account (which is a very formal process now, apparently), though I assume that's unrelated.

Anyway my question is moot, but I want to point out again that YOU ARE ALL WRONG.

You people are all wrong.

They just sent out an e-mail saying that annual members whose memberships expired between the announcement (end of August) and the end of the year can renew for $20 through the end of the year.

Mine expires next month, I haven't received any email... :(

I read that somewhere too, trying to weed people out by then being able to invite back those they wish too.
That was trolling and not even very good trolling considering they guaranteed existing members first crack at signing up when all the details are hammered out. Hardly any details have been released and that is one of the very few things we know for sure. I mean, some folks may choose not to renew, depending on what those details are, but everyone is getting the same opportunity to renew when the details come out.

That was trolling and not even very good trolling considering they guaranteed existing members first crack at signing up when all the details are hammered out. Hardly any details have been released and that is one of the very few things we know for sure. I mean, some folks may choose not to renew, depending on what those details are, but everyone is getting the same opportunity to renew when the details come out.
BUT DIDN'T YOU KNOW HE READ IT ON FACEBOOK???

Yeah they've been really clear that we're not getting ****ed. I think communication about this has been suboptimal, especially for the people in my boat whose membership was expiring between the announcement and the new club, but it seems like they've patched that up.

Oh, also, since I seem to be the only person who got the e-mail this morning, they said that there's going to be a release e-mail going out tomorrow. GET PUMPED!

BUT DIDN'T YOU KNOW HE READ IT ON FACEBOOK???

Yeah they've been really clear that we're not getting ****ed. I think communication about this has been suboptimal, especially for the people in my boat whose membership was expiring between the announcement and the new club, but it seems like they've patched that up.

Oh, also, since I seem to be the only person who got the e-mail this morning, they said that there's going to be a release e-mail going out tomorrow. GET PUMPED!
Dammit I just told someone in another theread there might not be a release. Lol.

Back