Schell's Dark Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot_chale

Reaction score
So, I'm working on a Schell's Dark clone for a friend's wedding this december. From what i've gathered it's gonna take 2 months before it's ready, so we have to brew in mid october for it to be ready in time. being the beginning of july now- it's experimentation time. I haven't jumped to 5 gallons yet, so I'm going to do a couple 2 gallon batches to try and get the recipe pinned down then jump to a 5 gallon batch and try to keg it.

here's the recipe so far:

.2 lbs Briess Caramel 80
.05 lbs Weyermann Carafa III

2.4 lbs Munich Malt Syrup
.4 lbs Amber dried malt extract

.4 oz Tradition hops

i have 2 2gram pouches of MR Beer Brewer's Yeast and 1 6gram packet of Munton's Ale Yeast. Not sure what to use, but I want to burn up my yeast before I go forward with the Bavarian Dunkel Lager recipe from Northern Brewer.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

i was pretty much flat broke all summer and couldn't pull it off. my cousin is bottling NB's Dead Ringer IPA, so his equipment will be open. I'm gonna order the Bravarian Dunkle kit from NB and just follow the directions. we're gonna try and do that next week and so if that is good, and close enough to what we were aiming for, then we'll just call that our wedding batch.

i was pretty much flat broke all summer and couldn't pull it off. my cousin is bottling NB's Dead Ringer IPA, so his equipment will be open. I'm gonna order the Bravarian Dunkle kit from NB and just follow the directions. we're gonna try and do that next week and so if that is good, and close enough to what we were aiming for, then we'll just call that our wedding batch.

Bummer, I was looking forward to this. I really like Schell's Dark a lot! I just finished conditioning NB's Bavarian Dunkel and am enjoying one as I type :) It's really good!

I did end up doing the Northern Brewer Bravarian Dunkel, 5 gallon extract, for the wedding. I kept the temp too cold during primary- around 50 degrees. Racked it after two weeks and was at about 1%abv. After a month of sitting though- i got to almost 5%, and it tasted good. Primed with table sugar and it was done carbonating the day before the wedding. It came out more like Negra Modelo and less like schell's dark, but it was still enjoyed by all. How did yours turn out?

Latest posts

Back