Scented OxyClean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moxie

Reaction score
Just picked up a couple of 7.5 gallon Sanke kegs for primary fermentation, and I was wondering if there was a downside to using "scented" oxyclean to clean my kegs. I can't seem to find the un-scented stuff anywhere, and I have a huge tub of the scented stuff under the sink ready to go... I have never really had an issue with smell/etc on my cornies after a thorough soaking and sanitizing with iodophor.

Also, can I leave the ocyclean solution in the keg for a long time, or should I be worried about pitting inside my kegs? I plan on soaking them for a good 24 hours in oxyclean before a big rinse and iodophor.

don't do it man.

Look for Oxyclean FREE. the lid is green on it, not blue. Target, WalMart, and hardware stores should have it.

Never had an issue with the scented version as long as you do a good rinse. SS is not going to absorb any of the odors of the Oxy. Oxy Free is hard to find, dollar store usually has the 1 lb non scented Oxy clone for $1.00 of course. Don't know if you have those up north.

But then again you answered your own question by saying you've used it in cornies with no problem.

The Oxyclean will not be enough however if you have a lot of beer stone in those kegs. For that you are going to need something "acid" to properly clean them.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Any info on whether or not I can do an oxyclean soak in a keg for a full day without harming the inside of the keg?

Back