Scary looking...is this okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliebu2

Reaction score
I'm a relative newbie, on my 2nd batch, and this batch has some really scary looking bits to it. Please see pic.
Does it look okay? If so, what do I do with the alien looking part?
Help!

DSC02532 (768x1024).jpg

I'm fairly new to it too, but I think the coloration there may be mold.... If it's mold you'll have to start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Mold will always be on the top, and powdery/fuzzy. Just like bread mold.

posted via Home Brew mobile app

Indeed it doesn't look like mold. It does look a bit funny, but my guess is that it's fine.

I'm a relative newbie, on my 2nd batch, and this batch has some really scary looking bits to it. Please see pic.
Does it look okay? If so, what do I do with the alien looking part?
Help!

That looks okay to me. Mine do that occasionally. That weird jellyfish looking piece is the older scoby. When it gets a little dehydrated, it will darken like that. Then, a new scoby grows over it, and the old scoby does that creepy "suspended animation thing."

You're fermenting tea. It's not going to be pretty, LOL.

Usually, I just skim it off when I change the sweet tea. You can have multiple scoby's no problem. But, I try to limit my continuous brew to one nice healthy scoby. Otherwise, the ferment times become inconsistent because sometimes you have a larger bacteria colony. I set one aside in a scoby hotel, and I keep one going in the sun tea picture. All the rest go in the trash or to a friend.

Mold will grow on top.

Back