Scary Floaties!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAmNotSamAdams

Reaction score
Hello All,

First post here, have a question.

I'm a relatively new brewer, brewed a hopped kit first time around and had great success. This is my second batch, an ESB recipe based on HTB's Lord Crouchback recipe. After a two week primary fermentation, I opened up the bucket to start bottling and found this:

floaties.jpg

Now first, a few details.

Pellet hops were used, I did not use a strainer after brewing for fear of oxidation, and I did move the primary fermenter up a flight of stairs about six hours prior to this.

If I had to guess I would say it was from the hops. The stuff had no odor apart from a very slight hoppy smell.

The other curious fact about this brew was what seemed to me to be an enormous yeast cake. I used dry Safale English Ale Yeast.

dregs.jpg

trub.jpg

So. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I did have to sacrifice about a liter of beer to keep things reasonably clear of sediment.. I'm hoping thats the only complication from this.

it looks pretty normal as far as fermentation goes. fermentation is wierd looking at best, most of the times its freakin ugly. did you give it a taste? probably all is well.

Thanks for the responses. Tastes fine - quite malty with bitter finish. I bottled it all up like normal. Is there anything I can do to prevent so much floating junk next time?

That's all fine, That's the normal look for an English type of yeast. All the yeasts look and act differently in the carboy. you get to know them by site after brewing a couple of batches each.

everything looks fine. good flocs in the top pic and the trub looks normal. A LOT of it but normal.

Latest posts

Back