Scared about my yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Run3minman

Reaction score
Pitched my yeast at about 65 deg at 2:00 pm yesterday. Now it is 10:00am and I haven't seen any reaction. What should I do???

It is too soon to even begin to worry....after 72 hours is when you take a gravity reading and see what's going on. It's quite common for yeast to take 2-3 days to get going, it's called lag time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock. it means gravity reading

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

"Activity is irrevelent." Just gravity points on a hydrometer.
Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

So wait til you hit the 72 hour mark THEN take a gravity reading. I predict that like 99.5% of ALL the threads like this, you will have a drop in gravity indicating fermentation is happening.

if you didn't make a starter (assuming liquid yeast), you may even be waiting another day or so before you see a bubble.

Yeast is sometimes deceitful because of a leak around your bucket lid or carboy stopper. It's happened to me before. I let it ride out and took a reading with my hydrometer and sure enough it had fermented out nicely. Be patient and let it work. Those single celled organisms might take a while.

I'm new at this as well. It's normal to be paranoid about every step. It's as natural as the beer making process itself, don't sweat it.

I pitched some wlp005 using liquid for the first time,I had to shake the crap out of it to get it mixed good because i was spliiting it doing a small double batch. well i didnt know it was going to be like shaking a beer and opening it but i mangaged to be holding it over one of my fermenters.
The stuff was so fizzy i dont think i added an equal amount to both, looks like the one i knew i added more has a weak krausen now after almost 12 hrs and the other isnt doing anything.Im a little concerned i didnt add much of any to the other one,was wondering if it one gets a good krausen and the other is still doing nothing if i could scoop some of that into the lagging one.Im keeping these at 70 until they get going like the directions say.
I dont really know how liquid yeast behave, and if i underpitched one if i should try to get some yeast from the other fermenter.? Ive heard of people doing this just to get some for another starter as well.
Im just use to always seeing a good layer of foam with dry yeast. Using a glass fermenter.

I had to work last night, and now I am :drunk: and:confused: so I will go to bed and look again tomorrow. Just had to be a smart--- no offense. Relax the yeast is just warming up for the big show. Cheers:D:mug:

Latest posts

Back