Scaling up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, or if it's actually appropriate on an HB forum, but this is the only place I know...

I've been home brewing for a few years and really enjoy the process and results.

I have run my own (non-beer related) business for many years and it has been quite successful. I've been approached by someone with an interest to buy, and if we follow through I would be in a position to consider starting something else. One of the many options I've considered is a brewery :)

However, while I think I know business pretty well, and the basic process of brewing (in 5 gallon batches), there is way too much I don't know about the business of brewing. I have no illusions that there is an equivalent to HBT for commercial brewers, but does anyone have any suggestions where I might turn for guidance? I am having even greater respect for people like Jim Koch (not that I have any aspirations to repeat his path), starting out without the internet.

TIA,
d

If you are thinking about doing this, contact a local brewer and as if you can do some volunteer work or even get a part time position doing something in a brewery so you can see how it operates, get as much time with the boots on as you possibly can… try to take at least a short course from Siebel's or one of the other schools and a Business of Brewing class as well, several brewing schools as well as places like Auburn University offer such courses. I am not saying you can't succeed without doing those things, but 25yrs in the industry tells me you would be in a better place if you did, I have seen too many places fail needlessly.

If you are thinking about doing this, contact a local brewer and as if you can do some volunteer work or even get a part time position doing something in a brewery so you can see how it operates, get as much time with the boots on as you possibly can… try to take at least a short course from Siebel's or one of the other schools and a Business of Brewing class as well, several brewing schools as well as places like Auburn University offer such courses. I am not saying you can't succeed without doing those things, but 25yrs in the industry tells me you would be in a better place if you did, I have seen too many places fail needlessly.

Great ideas. It makes sense that there are classes, but I wasn't aware of them. Will definitely check them out. We do have a few craft brewers around too, and if I decide that this is a viable option will see about getting some practical experience.

Thanks!

yea check out probrewer.com and def see if you can volunteer at a local brewery. If your state allows contract brewing it's another option to get started. In my state it was just made legal a couple years ago and there have been a lot of nano startups around. It's a way to start a brewery without all the startup costs of getting a 7+ bbl brewhouse. There are a couple 1 bbl nano's around here that just brew several times a week and can keep up with the demand and they seem to be doing well. A lot of it just depends on your area so make sure to do a lot of research to come up with the best business plan for your situation. Joining the american brewers association is helpful too. You can get a lot of industry reports that are helpful in forming your business plan. I also want to open my own brewery... there's a ton of hoops to jump through and lots of research that needs to be done in order to be successful. Good luck, keep us posted!! :mug:

If your state allows contract brewing it's another option to get started. In my state it was just made legal a couple years ago and there have been a lot of nano startups around. It's a way to start a brewery without all the startup costs of getting a 7+ bbl brewhouse.

I saw reference to that on PB, will check that out as an option as well. One advantage I have is that I already own property and a building that would probably work very well for a brewery - even one larger than I really envision, so that is one hurdle that might be bypassed.

There are a couple 1 bbl nano's around here that just brew several times a week and can keep up with the demand and they seem to be doing well.

Maybe I just don't know, but it seems to me (based on back of the napkin COMS calcs) that you really need to have a at least a 15 bbl, and more likely 30+ bbl brewhouse to make any money* in the best of circumstances, unless you are going to be simply a brewpub (not that there is anything "simple" about it), but running a restaurant that happens to make beer is not my kind of thing.

*not that I intend to get "rich" of this venture, but if I wanted to do something "just for fun" I'd stick with homebrewing. It's got to pay the bills, and me, to make it worth while.

Maybe I just don't know, but it seems to me (based on back of the napkin COMS calcs) that you really need to have a at least a 15 bbl, and more likely 30+ bbl brewhouse to make any money* in the best of circumstances, unless you are going to be simply a brewpub (not that there is anything "simple" about it), but running a restaurant that happens to make beer is not my kind of thing.

*not that I intend to get "rich" of this venture, but if I wanted to do something "just for fun" I'd stick with homebrewing. It's got to pay the bills, and me, to make it worth while.

VA allows contract brewing. There's a few of the nano's here that will contract brew 7-15 bbls and distribute to surrounding bars. Then from there they make the step up to a bigger system. Just another idea if your state allows contract brewing.

There's a few threads around here discussing one's jump into pro brewing. I personally follow the Muddy Creek one pretty closely - tons of information there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back