Scaling Recipies- hops adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwright

Reaction score
I need a little help.

I am trying to tweak my Surly clone recipe and need some direction for the hop adjustments.
I usually manually adjust my hop quantities based on the aa% to match the recipe hops (aa X wt).

My question is, after adjusting quantities for any differences in the aa of the hops, which additions should be adjusted when the recipe is scaled up/down?

For example, if I scale 4 gal up to 5 gal (25%), I would adjust the 60 min addition up 25%(calc by aa) - easy. But, what about the late/aroma additions, should they be adjusted up as well and by the same amount? What about the dry hop?

I have seen multiple answers here, but usually in response to other questions, and certainly no consensus.

I know 25 % sounds like a big adjustment, but I do find myself often scaling up others 5 gal (batch size) to my 6 gal (I don't adjust for trub loss / dead space). I hope someone can offer some good common sense, KISS advice
thanks,
jason

But, what about the late/aroma additions, should they be adjusted up as well and by the same amount? What about the dry hop?

Yes and yes.:mug:

But as you get to later and later additions, the aa% matters less. There may be some correlation between aa% and concentration of flavor-active compounds, but apparently it isn't very strong.

Thanks for the responses.

I do use the Beersmith 'button' but it just adds the volume percentage increase to all of the hops across the board. I remember reading several discussions that debated the need to adjust later additions or to adjust to a lesser degree (can't find those now). I think that may have been what 944play was refering to.

cheers
jason

the less into the boil you add hops i.e 5 min instead of 60 min the less the aa matters due to less ibu it will contribute to the beer

Wow you saved me a post. I just scaled a recipe up from 5.0 to 7.5 gallons this weekend since it uses a buttload of hops and a buttload of dry hops as well. I figure by the time all is said and done I want 5 gallons. I was used beersmith to scale my recipe but wondered if the hop adjustment was right. I was planning on going with it as scaled by beer smth

Back