scale down batches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman-Mike

Reaction score
As a new home brewer I see a ton of recipes id love to brew, however most of the are sold as a five gallon kit. Being still very new to this I want to stay with a one gallon to help build confidence and some space issues. Is scaling down these kits as easy as dividing all the ingrediants by 5? If so how should I store the left over ingrediants?

I brew exclusively in one gallon batches, and I get my recipes from everywhere else.

I divide by five, and convert everything to grams because its easier to achieve precision with the kitchen scale.

The only thing that doesn't scale directly is the yeast, but you can use mrmalty.com for that.

Btw... We have a whole thread around here somewhere for one gallon brewers.

Welcome

You could always post in the 1 gallon thread and im pretty sure anyone could help you break down a recipe

Oh yeah... The ingredients scale nicely... But the time elements are exactly the same.

A boil is still 60 minutes, fermentation three weeks, etc.

Latest posts

Back