Scalable eBIAB panel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73-Bronco

Reaction score
I biab right now. The cost of propane is getting out of hand. I kicking around the idea of going electric. But would like to MAYBE one day doesn’t he road go to three vessel and make a system more pro like. I like to do things myself. And have enough electrical knowledge to wire things if I have a diagram. Does any one have an up scalable panel for something like this?

I biab right now. The cost of propane is getting out of hand. I kicking around the idea of going electric. But would like to MAYBE one day doesn’t he road go to three vessel and make a system more pro like. I like to do things myself. And have enough electrical knowledge to wire things if I have a diagram. Does any one have an up scalable panel for something like this?
You could definitely build a typical multi vessel controller and just use half of it but imho unless your doing 10+ gallon batches or planning on it I don't think a traditional mash setups much of a upgrade. And for what it's worth I typically brew 10-15 gallon hatches on a 3v setup and use a biab system to do 1-5g test batches. Cheers

Just start with a three vessel control panel design, and leave out the components you don't need for BIAB. The left out components would look something like this:
PID/EZBoil, SSR, switch, contactor, element firing indicator, and outlet for HLT
PID/EZBoil/Temp Meter for MLT
Pump switches and outlets for more than one pump
Circuit breaker for HLT, if a 50A panel
Brew on :mug:

Here's just one example of a setup you might consider. I can do either 5- or 10-gallon brews with this. I have both 10- and 20-gallon kettles I can swap out as necessary. They're interchangeable in connections, valves, boil element, etc. except for the capacity.

I have a quasi-3 vessel system that I use analogously to a BIAB system--that is, single infusion in the mash tun, just like if it were BIAB, but I also recirculate through a RIMS.

What makes it quasi-3 vessel? I have a BK in which I heat the strike water (Vessel 1), the mash tun (Vessel 2), and a RIMS tube to manage heat with the recirculation ("Vessel" 3).

The advantages to this approach, if you're doing single infusion, is that you don't need a 3rd vessel and the space required for it plus probably a HERMS setup.

Now, I decided to get a panel for the BK and it has an EZBoil in it which allows me to control power percentage during the boil from 0-100 percent at the turn of a small knob. I decided that rather than trying to run the RIMS off the same panel as the BK, I'd buy a separate RIMS system (from Brewhardware).

The panel, as it turns out, is overkill. It has a couple of push button switches to control pumps, but it's not that convenient for me, enough that I finally decided to add switches at the front of my bench more easily reached. It also allowed me to mount the pump in such an orientation that I can use it to move water from the BK to the MT, then recirculate wort through the RIMS, then move the wort back into the BK for boiling, then run the wort through my counterflow chiller at the end.

I'm not saying this is the best way, or only way, just it's how it works best for me, and may be something to consider as you figure out what works best in your situation.

First pic: you see the panel on the wall, and next to it is the black RIMS controller. Boil kettle on the right, Mash tun on the left, RIMS tube hanging off the front of the bench in front of the mash tun, counterflow chiller below the BK. Hose setup is to recirc through the counterflow chiller.

brewsetup.jpg

Second pic shows the hoses transferred over to recirculate wort through the RIMS into the MT.

brewsetuphosesRIMS.jpg

Third pic shows the pump switches. I use only the Riptide pump during brewing operations; the second pump switch is for a pump I use to recirculate cleaning solution through my conical fermenter.

It's an easy reach for the pump switches this way. Having done it both using the push button switch on the control panel, and using these switches, no way on earth I'd go back to using the panel.

brewsetuppumpswitches.jpg

20190825_105106.jpg
One good option is to buy a larger enclosure and use brucontrol... its a software based system which uses an arduino. as my system changes I've added and rearranged what devices I need very easily on a touchscreen which I much prefer to having to figure out how to squeeze things into and on the face of my old analog panel..

Actually one of the great things about this approach is you dont even need everything in the same control box to control it all from the same software... I have a separate control panel for fermentation and another small board for reading my bluetooth tilt devices.. You can have and add separate panels with ease.
everything is cheaper vs buying a few ezboil controllers as well.. no scripts necessary although if you want to you can write scripts to automate things as well. Currently I do not use any myself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back