SC Haze - How to recreate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burndog

Reaction score
Any tips on recreating this?

I'm thinking learn more about New England style IPAs then use the Hops mentions in the attached article.

Anything else I should consider?

Had a few of these yesterday and they were great! Tasted like a fresh Blind Pig from Russian River which was going to be my next brew choice. Very few beers have I had that have such a great aroma (Blind Pig is the only similar one I can remember). Even a nice Pliny does not seem to have the same fresh hop aroma.

If your in So Cal and get a chance to try this beer, it's well worth it. We were at Left Coast, then Pizza Port yesterday and both said it will never be released to cans due to it needing to be fresh to be appreciated (much like those Russian River beers).

SCHaze2.jpg

SCHaze.jpg

In my experience the haze comes from white wheat malt and flaked oats. I do it at 10% each in my NEIPA recipes. The rest is rahr 2 row and a pinch of honey malt.

I know it's the grains rather than the hops because I add only a moderate amount of hops pre fermentation. Most are dry hopped and then keg hopped, but you can see the haze prior to those hops even going in.

My Julius clone...

julius.jpg

Just 7% nekkid oats - and a metric crapton of post-boil and dry hops.
You don't need a $#!&load of adjuncts...

Cheers! (Cloudy is not the point. Cloudy happens.)

Back