Say No To Mr. Beer, The Gateway Drug To Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You brewed 30 gallons in those little 2 gallon things?

Damn right. I like variety. It took a ton of work, but it also let me learn that much quicker. More batches= more experience.

Now I'm all 5 gallons. The little brown kegs are just for nostalgia.

Roed Haus Brewery

Damn right. I like variety. It took a ton of work, but it also let me learn that much quicker. More batches= more experience.

Now I'm all 5 gallons. The little brown kegs are just for nostalgia.

Roed Haus Brewery

I wish I had my brown kegs, they would be great for small batch experimental brews.

I started brewing 3 years ago. 110 recipes in the LBK. I dont post much. I read.
My first 2 MRB recipes were drinkable then I found the MrBeer forum, MrbeerFans and HBT.
I learned how to make good extract beer.. I alter all the MRB recipes the original an the new Cooper-Mrb. I bought a BrewDemon Conical Kit ( the old MRB recipes).
All the HME recipes are modified with LME/DME, steep grains, hops and good yeast.
I have tried some PM. More work then I like.
I brew a number of DIY extract recipes. I have the book Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Z and John P. ALL extract with some PM. I have made a few of their recipes cut down to 2.5g.

Only dumped one batch over the years.
I am the only beer drinker, I do not need to make 5g batches. I like many different types and styles, the 2.5 to 3g batches work great for me.
I have no plans to go with AG or 5gal. I really like the small batch brewing.
So far I only bottle, PET and glass. I tried the TAD keg, does work. Had one bust. The other 2 are the Miller TAD. I have used them about 4 times, dont trust them to work. I might try the BeerBox setup or a 2.5/3g mini keg.

It has been a fun and enjoyable hobby with great rewards. I like the beers I brew. That is all that counts.
Great to see a MRB/extract thread that does not bash/trash. That was one reason why I do not post.
R

Well Gang,here is my Dos Centavos. I've been brewing off and on since 1997. All extract,with some steeping and hops boils. I do all 2.5 gallon batches,and guess what my fermenters are? You guessed it. Mr. Beer LBKs or BrewDemon LBC. I also have 2 Mr. Beer 6.5 gallon fermenters,that I use once or twice a year for speciality batches. I like the simplicity,quickness,and variety of brews that small batch brewing gives me. I don't often use Mr. Beer or BD HME's,but my SWMBO got me one each of the Mr. Beer HME's for X-Mas, so I'm using them up with modifications.They ain't half bad. Going into summer I've got 12 cases in stock of probably 15 or 16 different brews to enjoy.Iv'e got 2 more to bottle next week,and then have the ingredients for 2 more to be brewed the week after.Bottom line is If you like to brew,like what you are brewing,then any method you use is ALL GOOD. Right? Keep Brewing Strong.:mug:

I'm doing all grain batches around 5 to 7 gals at a time. But I still couldn't turn down the opportunity to pick up another Mr. beer Kit at a yard sale. $5 brand new in the box!! Came with a 'Light American Ale' extract. Can't beat another 2.5 gal experiment chamber!

The experiment: Rosemary Peppercorn Ale.

I'm doing all grain batches around 5 to 7 gals at a time. But I still couldn't turn down the opportunity to pick up another Mr. beer Kit at a yard sale. $5 brand new in the box!! Came with a 'Light American Ale' extract. Can't beat another 2.5 gal experiment chamber!

The experiment: Rosemary Peppercorn Ale.

I totally agree. The $5 was worth it to get an experimental chamber.

Cheers,

Back