savory like flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a weird flavor that has appeared in my last 2 batches and also a batch quite a few months ago.
All the batches were the same, a simple pale ale with magnum bittering hops, and a mixture of centennial and citra for flavor and aroma.
Tasted them last night and they had a strange savory almost salty like flavor is as best i can describe.
Im wondering if it maybe something to do woth the Citra hops as this flavor appeared in a batch thay used only citra hops and has never appeared in a batch since untill now.
Any thoughts on this from anyone as its really bugging me that i cant seem to enjoys anything with citra in lately.

Cheers

I don't get any "salt" from Citra, but of course different people are sensitive to different flavors. My first thought was "is it soy sauce?", a flavor that can come from autolyzed yeast. That could explain the older bottles, but not the recent batch unless you has let it set for a long, long time, or repitched a lot of dead yeast.

Autolysis has been described as meaty before...also...are you using softened water?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I do treat my water with carbonate reducing solution and did add some.
It was only a 3 week primary and 3 weeks in the bottle so i think autolysis can be ruled out.
The reason i think it maybe the citra is that its the only thing all 3 batches had in common plus the pack of citra hops is about 6 months old, however they were sealed back up and stored in the fridge.
Do u think it could be stale hops?

Maybe a combination of diacetyl and the hops are changing it from a buttery to a savory flavor?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made a lager that had the same problem -- simply tasted salty. I couldn't find any reasonable explanation considering my ingredients and process, so I chalked it up to random bacterial infection and dumped it. Weird, isn't it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I get a flavor from Citra that does seem to be somewhat savory. I really thought it was something wrong until I noticed I got the same thing with every batch make with Citra.

Citra is described as giving a tropical fruit flavor and I have tasted a similar flavor with some of the harder lower sugar fruits that I have tried.

Its stange because the first lot of citra i used was fantastic so i bought some more, and with the 3 batches made with that batch of citra i got this weird flavor so i can only put it down to a bad batch of citra.
I have just brewed the exact same recipe only this time using Kazbec insteas of citra so im hoping to get lemon and lime from this one.

Back