Saving Yeast-to-Harvest on a Plane Flight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tantalus

Reaction score
Thanks in advance HomebrewVolke:

I'm vacationing in San Francisco and finally got my hands on a bottle of Russian River's Supplication (shock and awe). It's a sour and I'd like to be able to harvest and pitch the yeast into one of my own beers, but the trick is that I live all the way back in Virginia. I've got the dregs of the beer left, still in the bottle, but how do I get this yeast back to base safe and sound when I leave in a week? [Legendary mode: No homebrewing equipment available on hand.]

Any and all challengers accepted. Let's save this yeast.

Dont try and take a bottle with dregs home. Take a full bottle.

Also, RR uses wine yeast for bottling with most of their beers, including Supplication, its not a good option for culturing. If you want to pitch dregs into a single batch you are ok, but culturing will result in a wine yeast heavy mix.

Mail it to yourself with a couple ice packs. I should think this would be easiest way to preserve them from the perils of the TSA. Might transfer them to a smaller vessel with some boiled and cooled water to help limit oxygen exposure.

Back