Worth Harvesting Pliny the Elder Dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJTroz

Palm Harbor Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We live in FL and my wife had to travel to San Francisco on business last week. Having never sampled this highly coveted beer, I asked her to try and locate a few bottles. I even brought up RR's distribution list and found locations near where should would be on Google Maps. Through some of her sleek communication skills, she was able to bring a few bottles back for me.

Is it worth harvesting the dregs from the bottles? FWIR, they use WLP001 (Cal Ale) or similar for primary and bottle condition with Champagne yeast. If that is the case, I don't want the Champagne yeast and since I can get 001/1056/Chico/etc., is it even worth trying? My thought for harvesting is that I don't know the next time either of us will be in Central CA and don't want to miss the chance of grabbing the cultures if a readily available strain is not available.

Due to the fact that champagne yeast is a killer yeast it's very unlikely that you'd get any viable ale yeast. You'd be better off just building a culture of Chico and propping that as necessary.

Back