saving Solvent taste??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a Westvleteren with the Candi Syrup recipe. It called for the temp to rise to 77 F, mine got to 77 F. I tried to follow the instructions made a big yeast starter that was 268 billion cells and let the fermentation rise freely then put it into my Fermenter box to get down to about 60 F. the fermentation was a fast one that lasted only 3 days and before I knew it the gravity had gone down to 1.003.
I just put it into the secondary and sampled a little, noticed a solvent taste (rubbing alcohol). I followed the instructions but I am not sure I should have let it get so hot in the primary.
Is there a way to save this beer in the secondary, maybe by pitching more yeast, adding more oxygen, or adding sugar to it? or all of the above? Or just letting it sit to see if the left over yeast will do its work.
Here is the recipe....
ttp://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/westvleteren_12_clone_-_040.pdf

There is nothing I can think of to remove that "solvent" taste, especially if it's from fusel alcohols. If it's more of an alcohol burn, that will get better with age however.

Oxidizing it and/or adding more alcohol will make it worse, not better.

Brewed a Westvleteren with the Candi Syrup recipe. It called for the temp to rise to 77 F, mine got to 77 F. I tried to follow the instructions made a big yeast starter that was 268 billion cells and let the fermentation rise freely then put it into my Fermenter box to get down to about 60 F. the fermentation was a fast one that lasted only 3 days and before I knew it the gravity had gone down to 1.003.
I just put it into the secondary and sampled a little, noticed a solvent taste (rubbing alcohol). I followed the instructions but I am not sure I should have let it get so hot in the primary.
Is there a way to save this beer in the secondary, maybe by pitching more yeast, adding more oxygen, or adding sugar to it? or all of the above? Or just letting it sit to see if the left over yeast will do its work.
Here is the recipe....
ttp://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/westvleteren_12_clone_-_040.pdf

Belgian yeasts will often throw a solvent, sometimes bandaid taste when green. If the beer is less than a week old, don’t worry about it. Let it sit in the secondary for a couple of weeks, and another 3 in the bottles, and you will more than likely come out with a very good beer.

thank you for your input I was hoping that time would help. this is pretty new in that I brewed it 17 days ago. it was when I put it into the secondary that I tasted this. It is now in a keg and will wait a while before I bottle this out of the keg. The instructions call for it to sit for a year, I probably wont be able to let it sit for a year without a little sample after a few months but a year for most of the beer or longer is what I plan to do. There will plenty of others to drink for saving a few bottles of Westvleteren for 4 years or more. Wish me luck on that.

Here is the recipe....

What did you pitch at? How fast did the temp climb? Very low terminal gravity in 3 days is not a good sign. Your temp likely climbed too fast, too quick.

Solvent is not going to go away.

I’d be concerned about your gravity readings. You were low on OG and very low on FG. Are you confident in these readings?

In my experience fusels do not go away, but some esters, like ethyl acetate can fade...
In high concentrations, ethyl acetate goes from tasting fruity to tasting solventy..
Transfer to secondary since this is a big beer and give it 6 months with some light toast french oak if you can get it...

I will let this sit for a month or more and see if there are any better results. If not it will be the first I have tossed.

I will let this sit for a month or more and see if there are any better results. If not it will be the first I have tossed.

How quickly did the fermentation proceed into the 70s? If fermentation was done in 3 days, you may have pitched too hot.

I pitched at 64 F with wyeast 3787 yeast at 269 Billion cells, the fermentation started the same day and went from 67 F to 77 F in 4 days then just crashed. The directions call for it to free rise to 77. The OG was a bit low at 1.076 compared to the 1.091 that is should have been. The gravity after 4 days was 1.003 (a possibility I read my hydrometer wrong I would hope I didn't), but want with that in that this was a small batch (3 gallons) and would be satisfied with a Westvletern 8 for the first brew of this recipe, knowing I would do it again and figure out if it was the grain crush or something else that made it a low OG. I have never had too much trouble hitting my OG in the years I have brewed, could it be a large grain bill without stirring to get all the grain exposed?

In my experience fusels do not go away, but some esters, like ethyl acetate can fade...
In high concentrations, ethyl acetate goes from tasting fruity to tasting solventy..
Transfer to secondary since this is a big beer and give it 6 months with some light toast french oak if you can get it...

My Tripel went from banana to bubblegum banana passing through weird chemical like banana phase a few days after fermentation finished, then a few weeks later, it bubbled again for a couple days and then the weird notes converted into bubblegum banana which tastes great, specially with the port notes as I aged it in port for a month

I pitched at 64 F with wyeast 3787 yeast at 269 Billion cells, the fermentation started the same day and went from 67 F to 77 F in 4 days then just crashed. The directions call for it to free rise to 77. The OG was a bit low at 1.076 compared to the 1.091 that is should have been. The gravity after 4 days was 1.003 (a possibility I read my hydrometer wrong I would hope I didn't), but want with that in that this was a small batch (3 gallons) and would be satisfied with a Westvletern 8 for the first brew of this recipe, knowing I would do it again and figure out if it was the grain crush or something else that made it a low OG. I have never had too much trouble hitting my OG in the years I have brewed, could it be a large grain bill without stirring to get all the grain exposed?
1.003 is very low for 3787, especially in such little time. Did you compensate for the high wort temp? How dry were your samples? 1.003 is more like a saison dryness.

Back