Saving my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dime1622

Reaction score
Well, it had to happen at some point - I had my first brewing disaster today. Was doing a BIAB Founders Red Rye PA clone and after mash out, fired up the burner to get the wort up to a boil. I had 40 degrees to go so dropped in my floating thermometer and took the leftover grain to the garden. After spreading it, I got back and the wort wasn't yet boiling so started to clean my strainer basket. Next thing I know, I look over and the wort is boiling over. I killed the flame and went to stir and noticed I couldn't see the thermometer. I carefully picked around with my mash paddle and finally found it - with the bottom tip broken off and the insides missing. Needless to say, I dumped the wort. At least I hadn't used any of the hops yet!

That brings me to my starter - I started a 1L starter two days ago, but now probably can't attempt to brew again until Thursday. How can I save the starter? Seal it up and put it in the fridge?

Back