Saving my Elderberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikingarch

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I made a noob mistake the other day. I noticed my elderberry mead had stopped fermenting (bubbles-wise) and took a measuring (1.000 FG). Instead of waiting a week to see if it was stable, I decided to transfer it.

A lot of stuff happened; including seeds getting stuck in the hose and disturbing the whole batch, hose spraying some across the room, not noticing I made more than one gallon so I had to throw some out, etc.

Before I transferred, I put the last half of elderberries I had in the carboy so it could get more of a berry flavor. The mead, as a result, has started fermenting again and the resulting cap keeps pushing stuff up. I have now put a blowoff hose to maintain blow off, but it continues to leak. I did put a camden tablet in the carboy, but doesn't seem to have had any real effect. Any suggestions for me going forward? I would like to preserve as much product as I can so I can salvage this brew.

Attached is a photo below. The additional berries were placed in a muslin bag which has floated to the top.

Attachments

• IMG_4581.jpg
    IMG_4581.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
The added fruit should add some extra flavor. It should ferment for just a bit as you haven't added that much sugar (especially if you were already at 1.00!)

Your biggest challenge is going to be oxidation management, as you need to both filter the unwanted seeds and transfer it to bottles. I don't suppose you can fish out the muslin bag without disturbing the mead too much?

Yes! It generally floats to the top so it should be easy to get out. How long should I leave it in there? I twas transferred onto the berries on Saturday (2-3 days)

I might give it a week or so (A few more days). Watch your tannin levels with the whole fruit in there. If you can pull them, and thoroughly strain them that might be best.

Back