Saving an oxidized beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
Just kegged a west coast ipa and took a quick sample after putting into the kegerator. Found the hop aroma and flavor that it had in the hydro sample to be almost none existent now. I cold crashed it in the fermenter for 3 days and I’m worried I have oxidized it. I’ll give it a bit longer in the keg to carb up properly but was wondering whether to dry hop it again to try and save it...
Ant thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks.

Seeing that you kegged it, you could throw 2-3 oz hops in the keg and see what happens. But dry hopping at low temps. takes many, many, many days to work, if even it will.

I regularly hop in the keg, starting with cold beer, and it works fine. I use a hop sock, and just leave the hops in until the keg kicks. Haven't had any reports of grassy tastes even with the long hop exposure.

Brew on :mug:

Don't hurry to adjust it. I sometimes find that the same beer will taste different to me on successive days. You sense of taste and smell are affected by many things. Give it another try, and let someone else confirm you results, another brewer or a craft drinker.

Thanks guys. I’ll give it a week or so to carb properly and try it again. If it’s the same I might drop an ounce or two of citra into it. I’ll update later..

Back