Saving an aluminum brew pot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDengler

Reaction score
I wasn't careful enough after my last brew and I used 5 Star PBW to clean it out. I let it set over night and rinsed it out, the bottom was what I belive to be oxidation. Is there anything that I can do to get it back to normal? Is there a re-surfacing process at all?

Are you looking at a blackening of your aluminum pot? If so, that's not really a bad thing. This is an oxidization layer on your pot that will actually help protect it from further oxidization, pitting, and corrosion. If you do wish to clean this out of your pot, try an acidic solution such as lemon juice and baking soda to clean it out.

Im guessing the PBW turned the pot black. I believe this is just oxidation and is normal for an aluminum pot. The PBW just accelerated the process. I would guess it is fine as is, or if it really bothers you, you could scrub it clean w/ a scotch-brite cleaning pad, and then boil water to restore the needed oxide layer.

An aluminum pot should not look brite and clean on the inside, the tarnished looking layer of aluminum oxide acts as a protectant.

Here are some photos of the pot

IMG_0676.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0675.jpg
[/IMG]

Rinse it well and boil enough water to cover all the spots.

If that is pitting rather than just surface discoloration, use a new scotch brite pad to smooth it down and then boil your water. I've had many pans at work scarred and pitted from people using degreaser on the aluminum. Smoothing the interiour surface and boiling gets it back to good usable condition.

so for future reference what is the best way to clean the AL pot? Is PBW ok as long as you don't let it sit? Or should I use a normal scotch brite pad with dish soap?

I scoured the black away and it cleaned up nicely.

Thanks for the help

Just use normal dishsoap or possibly Oxyclean. No need to use such as harsh cleaner such as PBW on your aluminum pots.

You shouldn't really use dish soap on anything you're going to be using with your brew. It leaves behind trace amounts pretty much no matter what you do, and it can affect head retention.

I use aluminum pots and haven't had to use anything more than a soft sponge and water. I clean it as soon as I'm done with it so nothing gets too caked on. Even so, soaking it in water for a while should soften everything enough to get it off without too much elbow grease. You want to keep the black oxide layer so you don't have to boil water to build it again.

Back