Saving a yeast cake for a barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I kegged a very small Ordinary Bitter (OG 1037) brewed with S-04. I'm planning to brew an English barleywine about two weeks from now.

I know it's "almost never" correct pitch rate to rack onto an existing cake, but according to the brewersfriend pitch rate calculator, my low gravity beer's cake should be almost exactly correct for a barleywine batch of the same size (483 billion cells vs. the 467 billion cells required, a very small increase.)

It's sitting on my basement floor, which is about 64 degrees. I left about an inch of beer on top of the cake for preservation's sake. Is it likely to survive until I'm ready to pitch, or do I need to decant and refrigerate it?

I would try to cool that yeast cake down somehow for a two week wait.

Some yeast will survive is my thinking. I am no expert, but I'm pretty sure at 64 degrees F. you would see a significant die off in two weeks. Provided your cell numbers are correct you can only suffer about a 4% loss in yeast cells and you will start getting below what is posted as being required.

Not sure what you're fermenting in but if it is a carboy and you have a large cooler you could just put it in the cooler with some ice. If I was planning on using the same fermenter this is probably what I'd do. If using another fermenter then I think I'd decant and refrigerate the yeast cake.

Not sure what you're fermenting in but if it is a carboy and you have a large cooler you could just put it in the cooler with some ice. If I was planning on using the same fermenter this is probably what I'd do. If using another fermenter then I think I'd decant and refrigerate the yeast cake.

I don't think I can refrigerate an entire carboy without kicking a fermenting beer out of its fermentation chamber.
Maybe I can fit it into a 1 liter flask... that'd fit in the freezer. But I don't know if the glass will survive!

Back