Sasquatch (aka Bigfoot)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agreed and some redneck would have mounted one and started a secret family.

Well, I mean, if lady Bigfoot was cute...

But yeah, we've been through so much of the woods that by now, if something that big existed in the US, we'd have found it.

That fish has been in the ocean. The ocean is much larger, much less explored and much less inhabited by humans.

There have been new mammals found in my lifetime. All sorts of smaller animals and bugs, too. But a Bigfoot? That's hard to hide.

I dont understand how that crap is on the TV

To be honest, I haven't seen MTV since the mid to later 80's and I don't watch any of the fake reality shows.

Well, I mean, if lady Bigfoot was cute...

But yeah, we've been through so much of the woods that by now, if something that big existed in the US, we'd have found it.

That fish has been in the ocean. The ocean is much larger, much less explored and much less inhabited by humans.

There have been new mammals found in my lifetime. All sorts of smaller animals and bugs, too. But a Bigfoot? That's hard to hide.

Exactly. We have looked at such a small percentage of the oceans that are absolutely full of things we've never seen.

Most of the land bugs and animals found in modern times are in places like South American jungles where modern man hasn't explored as much, unlike the woods in the Pacific Northwest and other places where bigfoot is suppose to be.

Of course you can't really prove something doesn't exist.

The coelacanth was rediscovered in the ocean, a small thing in a vast wilderness most would consider much more difficult to explore than the relatively small (typically) forested areas where Bigfoot is usually reported to be seen. If only by happenstance coelacanth was rediscovered in the vast oceans wouldn't it make some sense that we'd have stumbled across something more than fuzzy pictures and "footprints" in the dirt?

You do have a good point about the small thing in a large area that is difficult to explore. Here in MT, people go missing every so often & are never seen again, or their remains are found a few years later. Glacier National Park is a BIG place, it's easy to get lost in & many, many parts of it are very tough to move about in. There are other areas here that are just as tough & brutal if you're not prepared. These areas are much smaller & easier to access than the ocean, these are people who want to be found, and there are many people searching for them & a lot of times, they're just never found.

But consider a creature that is trying to avoid being seen, living in a vast wilderness where (comparitively) few humans go, is reported to be nocturnal, has (I'm guessing here) a mental capacity roughly equal to a chimp or gorilla, maybe closer to human intelligence and vey few (if any) people actually looking for it. There have been days I was hunting & never even saw a deer & they're much more plentiful than sasquatch.

I just think SOMETHING as yet unexplained is out there, and until proven to exist there will continue to be speculation as to what it is, or even if it exists at all. And, sadly, there will continue to be hoaxes:
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_86a9d38e-f058-11e1-b794-001a4bcf887a.html

And for the record, I do find it rather suspicious that nobody can take a clear photo or video of the thing.
Regards, GF.

Resurrecting a dead thread...

My wife is a believer and she's been listening to some podcasts that are hilarious (to me). She gets mad at me (not really) that I'm a skeptic. "You don't believe, you demand proof..." and while I do demand proof, that doesn't mean I don't believe. I think of it more like I'm a Bigfoot Agnostic. There may or may not be cryptozoological creatures as yet undiscovered. I'm just of the mind that we need actual evidence-based support rather than throwing a Sasquatch label on something as an explanation for something as yet unexplained. I'd think it would be really funny if Bigfoot turned out to be something way different from what the believers thought.

If I remember correctly he is hanging out at bottom of the gallows not at Gitmo

I read an article some time ago that he gave the US very valuable intelligence and they kept him around. It also said the guy was smart and bored so he designed a vacuum cleaner in between helping the US. In return the US got him a patent on the design. I'm not making this up.

Hey, when did the Dyson come out?

Seen Bigfoot? No. Had rocks thrown at me in a manner no human could do while at a golf course that bordered thick forest area in western Washington, yes. Had a tree thumped so hard I could feel the vibrations while searching for a lost golf ball I had sliced into the forest yes.

These incidences happened months apart. The tree thumping was so strong that my playing partners told me to come back because someone or something didn't want me where I was.

I'll have to see one to believe it. But I won't discount it either. It wasn't that long ago that mountain Gorillas were myth.

When I used to fight forest fires we were on an assignment in western Washington. While we were sleeping in the dirt for the night, every person on my 20 person crew woke up in the middle of the night to THE MOST blood curdling yell/shriek/roar we have ever heard. It was seriously like a King Kong roar and it scared the ever living s**t out of all of us. 20, top fitness level, armed (shovels, axes, chainsaws, hoes), back country experienced grown ass men cuddled together like children. I will never forget that as long as I live..

I'm confident it was a bigfoot, but can not prove it (obviously)..

That being said, I've seen several UFOs so I have a very open mind to what is possible and what is out there yet to be proven.

We and every other animal leave traces of ourselves everywhere that we go. Assuming the bigfoots are better at woodcraft and smarter than us, they would still leave too much evidence of themselves to go undetected. Do they bury their scat and then hang around guarding it by throwing rocks? Are their young immediately capable of concealment? There is a certain minimum number of a species that if it drops below, the group begins to have genetic defects. For humans it is 4,169. Let’s say the bigfoots have half that population, if they poo 8 ounces a day that’s 375,000 pounds of poo a year that they have to secure. I think the rock much more likely came from some kids with a baseball throwing machine rather than a sasquatch.

I've seen several UFOs so I have a very open mind to what is possible and what is out there yet to be proven.
I've seen a ufo. I don't claim that it was aliens, only that I could not identify the object. I am not an aviation expert, so that is not saying much.

think the rock much more likely came from some kids with a baseball throwing machine rather than a sasquatch.
I'm not saying that this isn't a possibility, only that their is no power in many of the areas where the rocks are reported, gas powered would be heard, manual make some degree of sound and a couple of kids would be seen transporting the device. Also the reported rocks are bigger and heavier than a softball/baseball, I don't know if they can handle the larger rocks.

Many animals hide/burry their scat and other animals may feed on the scat. And there is one heck of a lot of uninhabited and unexplored areas through the Pacific northwest and Canada (and the world).

Not discounting your theories as I share similar arguments against their existence, there is just not enough proof for either side. While not probable, a large animal cryptozoological find in the world is possible.

Not discounting your theories as I share similar arguments against their existence, there is just not enough proof for either side. While not probable, a large animal cryptozoological find in the world is possible.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...t/2012/sep/13/new-mammals-discovered-10-years

Of course the bigger the less likely, but here are several animals that have been recently identified. The thing is, while interesting and distinct in their own ways, they are kind if “normal”. I mean even that crazy bird whose mating dance was caught on film for the “Planet Earth” thing, you know the one that turned itself into an iridescent blue satellite dish, was crazy but still not outside the realm of things that make sense. When it comes to bigfoot, you just have to call it, too strange, too abnormal.

I'm not saying that this isn't a possibility, only that their is no power in many of the areas where the rocks are reported, gas powered would be heard, manual make some degree of sound and a couple of kids would be seen transporting the device. Also the reported rocks are bigger and heavier than a softball/baseball, I don't know if they can handle the larger rocks.
g-41861-water-balloon-launcher.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...t/2012/sep/13/new-mammals-discovered-10-years

Of course the bigger the less likely, but here are several animals that have been recently identified. The thing is, while interesting and distinct in their own ways, they are kind if “normal”. I mean even that crazy bird whose mating dance was caught on film for the “Planet Earth” thing, you know the one that turned itself into an iridescent blue satellite dish, was crazy but still not outside the realm of things that make sense. When it comes to bigfoot, you just have to call it, too strange, too abnormal.

I'm not sure how relevant this is. Many of those animals in that list (and most lists of new animals) were "identified", not actually discovered. In other words, the animal was known but hadn't been recognized as being distinct from another similar species. A great deal of newly "discovered" animals are really just newly distinguished from other similar animals. That or they're known to the locals but not yet studied or identified by scientists.

Last edited:

Balloons are not heavy rocks. The tubing on this will not have the elasticity to launch a heavy rocks. If you increase the tubing strength, you also increase the force necessary launch making it more difficult for people to use. I don't know the practical usability threshold for such a device. While more plausible than a giant undiscovered ape, its not impossible, just improbable.

I heard one last summer!!! I was asleep with all the windows open and that sucker was yelling out his mating call.

I snuck outside in my skivvies and head lamp when he yelled again, loud!!!! I waited around but he must have left.

Laying in bed, I tried to imagine another mammal that could yell like that and ruled them all out. It had to be Sasquatch!!! In the morning I looked up screech owls.... BINGO!

We and every other animal leave traces of ourselves everywhere that we go. Assuming the bigfoots are better at woodcraft and smarter than us, they would still leave too much evidence of themselves to go undetected. Do they bury their scat and then hang around guarding it by throwing rocks? Are their young immediately capable of concealment? There is a certain minimum number of a species that if it drops below, the group begins to have genetic defects. For humans it is 4,169. Let’s say the bigfoots have half that population, if they poo 8 ounces a day that’s 375,000 pounds of poo a year that they have to secure. I think the rock much more likely came from some kids with a baseball throwing machine rather than a sasquatch.

My initial reaction to the rocks was to yell into the woods on the private property that bordered the course and let stupid teenagers know they could hurt or kill by launching rocks like that. Then I continued my round of golf and mostly forgot about it.

The tree banging was written off as someone living in the woods or doing something they didn't want me to see. I yelled into the woods on that occasion too, stating that I was only looking for a golf ball.

About 6 years later I'm watching tv. A show called "Finding Bigfoot". Once they started talking about tree knocks and rock throwing my memory kicked in. Just to make sure I recalled the tree thumping correctly I asked my friends what they remembered about it. Two of them recalled it being as intense as I did. The other didn't remember it at all.

My take was that the people on Finding Bigfoot didn't realize that tree knocks are a warning, not a call. That is if it's a real thing.

I'll have to see one to believe it exists but I won't say it doesn't exist just because I haven't seen it.

My initial reaction to the rocks was to yell into the woods on the private property that bordered the course and let stupid teenagers know they could hurt or kill by launching rocks like that. Then I continued my round of golf and mostly forgot about it.

The tree banging was written off as someone living in the woods or doing something they didn't want me to see. I yelled into the woods on that occasion too, stating that I was only looking for a golf ball.

About 6 years later I'm watching tv. A show called "Finding Bigfoot". Once they started talking about tree knocks and rock throwing my memory kicked in. Just to make sure I recalled the tree thumping correctly I asked my friends what they remembered about it. Two of them recalled it being as intense as I did. The other didn't remember it at all.

My take was that the people on Finding Bigfoot didn't realize that tree knocks are a warning, not a call. That is if it's a real thing.

I'll have to see one to believe it exists but I won't say it doesn't exist just because I haven't seen it.

You literally can’t argue with that. But when I was a kid my dad told me that he couldn’t say that ghosts don’t exist, but he’s never seen one. To me, he might as well have said that ghosts do exist and every time I was in a dark spooky place, I could literally taste my own fear. So when my kids asked about ghosts I said, “ghosts aren’t real, it’s just something interesting for people to think about, but they aren’t real”. My thing is that if we give credibility to things that probably aren’t real, then we give them power to affect and change us and in my opinion, usually not in good ways, with a few notable exceptions.

Keep in mind there is a certain subject that some find questionable that is likely to precipitate from my comment that we aren’t allowed to discuss in this part of the forum.

My thing is that if we give credibility to things that probably aren’t real, then we give them power to affect and change us and in my opinion, usually not in good ways, with a few notable exceptions.

I repeat my agnostic mantra of maybe but there is not currently proof of either or other. Couldn't agree more with your statements.

I've heard one helluva clack from beaver tails on water and an iddy iddy woodpecker makes quite a racket, especially when echoing through a hillside much like an amphitheater. I don't have a reasonable explanation for the rocks, thumps or tree-shaking. I am not am out-door expert scientists, so my reasonable explanation does not exactly carry much weight.

Similar statements in regards to your other restricted topic. Many "supernatural" things from our not-so-distant past have full scientific pr pther logical explanations.

I spend a bit of time outdoors in the pacific NW mushroom hunting, mt biking, fishing, hiking w the kids etc. I have never come across yeti footprints. Some of my hobbies take me to pretty remote areas.

One thing I do spot fairly regularly; game cams. Seems like they are everywhere. It’s pretty common for hunters to have a half dozen set up in the forest.

I’m not sure how Sasquatch can avoid the thousands of cameras.

I would like to believe something exists out there but....

Back