Saskatoon Berries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyphoidJerry

Reaction score
Hi there, just registered on this site and I've started brewing beer. Now I need some advice.

I've previously brewed from kits but want to make grown-up beer. There is a local kind of berry around here called saskatoon or serviceberry. They're like large blueberries. I'm interested in making some sort of beer from them, but I'm not quite sure what kind of recipe I should be using. I've tried a large variety of fruit beers, and I'd like something that can highlight the flavour of the berry rather than hiding it in the finish, like a lot of wheat ales I've tried. Are there any recommendations?

Thanks.

To really make a fruit focused beer, you would need to get at a lot of your fermentables from the fruit/juices. That means a TON of berries, but doable none the less! Maybe try a 1 gallon batch or so as a starting point? Or multiple small batches to find one you like?

Dude, I love Saskatoons. If you get them the size of large blueberries, that's crazy--most places they are half the size of blueberries, although last year we had some here as large as blueberries. As far as what you should do with them:

Make Saskatoon pie.

Make Saskatoon jam.

Make a Saskatoon crumble cake.

But if you want to make "grown up" beer, leave the berries out! If you must ferment them, make some wine.

There's this blueberry beer my son buys that I think is called "Blue Moon". It's blue & tastes like blueberry beer.

They're pretty much a slightly tart blueberry. So any blueberry beer recipe would probably work, just remember it'll be a tad bit more tart.

And most of them I see here (Saskatoon) are fairly small.

Back