Sapporo Inspired Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcosansgluten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Over the weekend I brewed what I'm calling a Sapporo Inspired Ale. The grain bill is below. After a lot reading, there seems to be consensus that 34/70 can ferment at ale temperatures so I am going to try that out and see how it goes. I also F'd and didn't realize I had zero yeast nutrient. I found online that bread yeast can be used as a substitute so i added 2.5 tablespoons of that.

10 lbs Pale Rice Malt
3 lbs Vienna Millet
2 lbs Pale Millet
1.75 oz Sorachi Ace hops
2 sachets 34/70 yeast

Attachments

• SIA - 1.jpeg
    SIA - 1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • SIA - 2.jpeg
    SIA - 2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • SIA - 3.jpeg
    SIA - 3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • SIA - 4.jpeg
    SIA - 4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • SIA - 5.jpeg
    SIA - 5.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
  • SIA - 6.jpeg
    SIA - 6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • SIA - 7.jpeg
    SIA - 7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • SIA - 8.jpeg
    SIA - 8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
I also wouldn't sweat skipping the yeast nutrient. For low to moderate gravity beers its not critical, especially when you made a starter with two packets of dry yeast. I'm pretty sure your beer is going to turn out really good.
thanks for saying this, i was legit concerned. Im going to let it ferment for 2 weeks before bottling and then im not sure if i should lager it or let it sit at basement temps (65F)

Not to be the buzz kill, but I would be concerned about the yeast nutrient. Rice malt is very low in FAN and has been known to produce off flavors that have been described as celery seed, cilantro, clove, etc. It's very earthy and very prominent (I know from experience). I use 2x the recommended yeast nutrient (and proper pitch rates) in my batches to avoid this flavor. Anyway, the beers tend to be fine throughout fermentation, but the flavor/aroma emerges once the beer is down to serving temps.

I hope the bread yeast was enough to get you by!

All good man. From you guidance I started doubling the yeast nutrient awhile back and it has a big effect on the beer. This one should be drinkable in 3 weeks so ill let everyone know how it goes.

Cracked these open a few days ago. Happy to say the bread yeast did allow for good alcohol production albeit this beer has a hard time getting a foamy head to it. Taste wise, if you've ever had Leinenkugal's Summer Shandy, with a slice of lemon added, this beer tastes just like it. Also, confirming, 34/70 is a great ale yeast.

Attachments

• SIA - 1 (1).jpeg
    SIA - 1 (1).jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Gotta say it's been over a decade since I had a Sapporo. How close do you think you got to the flavor profile?

Gotta say it's been over a decade since I had a Sapporo. How close do you think you got to the flavor profile?
From what I recall, this is darn close. I think if I actually lagered it, it would be spot on, I guess this could technically pass as a california common lager? The sorachi ace hops legit taste like lemons and make it a perfect summer beer.

I know this is a old thread, but....

Did you note what the OG was?
Did you create this from a non-gluten-free recipe? if so, do you know what the adjunct grains were?

thanks

I know this is a old thread, but....

Did you note what the OG was?
Did you create this from a non-gluten-free recipe? if so, do you know what the adjunct grains were?

thanks
The OG was 1.047 and I did not use any recipe as a base. My goal was to create a rice beer and learned that 100% rice was a bad move. If you can brew traditional grain beer, Im sure there are tons of Sapporo clones out there.

If this recipe was that close, I think I'd like to use it as I have been wanting to brew a rice lager and experiment with different seaweeds in secondary. But I have 1/2 lbs of rice dme from brewing a bud light clone for a friend (obviously a GOOD friend). I can't find information on what that translates to for the equivalent amount of white rice in the mash. (I don't want 5 gal of japanese rice lager as I already have 5 gal of mexican lager in my conical). For this recipe, if I did dme, how much would the 10 lbs be?

If this recipe was that close, I think I'd like to use it as I have been wanting to brew a rice lager and experiment with different seaweeds in secondary. But I have 1/2 lbs of rice dme from brewing a bud light clone for a friend (obviously a GOOD friend). I can't find information on what that translates to for the equivalent amount of white rice in the mash. (I don't want 5 gal of japanese rice lager as I already have 5 gal of mexican lager in my conical). For this recipe, if I did dme, how much would the 10 lbs be?
dme contains gluten which i cannot consume, so im not really sure how much of it you'll need.

dme contains gluten which i cannot consume, so im not really sure how much of it you'll need.

he said rice dme? and...this is what beer smith 2 tells me for rice 'syrup'.....

1672348249177.png

and the powers that be wouldn't forgive me if i didn't do a shameless plug for their stuff, and say it has rice extract solids too!

1672348491795.png

he said rice dme? and...this is what beer smith 2 tells me for rice 'syrup'.....

good catch, i over looked that. And I think you answered the question too!

@Christoff it looks like 3-4 lbs of rice syrup will be suitable swap for the pale rice malt. The signature taste of this beer comes from the Sorachi Ace hops, they literally taste and smell like lemons.

Thanks a lot everyone!! I've looked at a few places and the sorachi ace is out so I have some time. I want to wait until I can find it, just haven't had a lot of time to check other suppliers

It depends on what enzymes you are using as to how much rice malt will substitute for the rice DME. Check the DME you have, but I think it is usually about PPG=40. If you are using good enzymes, you can get mid to high 20's for PPG on the rice malt. If you are not using a good enzyme strategy then the yield will be substantially lower.

Back