Sanyo 4912 wont go below 46deg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNCPDT

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I picked up a Sanyo 4912 fridge for fermenting/lagering a few months back, it was in basically like-new condition when I bought it and I have had no problems using it in the ale fermentation temp range. I have a Johnson Controls A419 (from NB) to help with temp control.

I am using it now to lager a Marzen and it seems to be unable to get below 46-48degrees (SP=38, AsD=10,dif=2). I've checked the door and the seal seems pretty tight. I'm also running the temp probe through the drain hole so that it doesn't have to come through the door. I have noticed ice formation on the cooling panel in the upper freezer region, but I don't know if this is problematic or not.

I am thinking about getting a box of Damp-Gone to see if that helps with potential humidity problems/icing over. Has anyone else had similar problems? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Probe location can sometimes give you false readings inside a sanyo.

Fill a container with water, place the probe in the water and give it 24 hours.

Once you confirm you're bad temps are not an instrumentation issue, you can begin curing.

If you have ice build up...that's not usually a problem...and a good indicator you've got good chilling going on.

Sorry, forgot to include that info.... the probe is in a sealed test tube filled with water, and this is attached to the top of the fridge with electrical tape. I've had it set-up like this since pretty much the beginning.

How long should it take to drop into the low 40s from scratch? I just recently reset the whole fridge 2 days ago so maybe I need to wait longer (although in the past it has been stuck in the high 40s for weeks).

Back